Search results

1. Nigel Hewitt

What Have You Done To Your Merc Today?

What have I done to my Merc today? Sent off the documents to the insurers who have scrapped it. I gravel surfed into a high curb which went under the front and dinged the radiator and a few bits of plastic. And they wrote it off. Expensive Mercedes plastic I guess. The money arrived in my bank...
  2. Nigel Hewitt

Oscilloscope set up

The crocs are a direct connection, the black is ground and the red is signal. The probe is usually designed to be a very 'light touch' on the circuit being measured so it doesn't change what it tries to measure but as a result only gives a tenth of the input. You just select a range or so down...
  3. Nigel Hewitt

Oscilloscope set up

OMG an oscilloscope controlled by 5 buttons? Mine has 28 buttons and 8 rotary encoders and a lot of stuff is hived off onto menus and that's just a simple one. Traditionally an oscilloscope shows a moving dot that travels across the screen that rises and falls to indicate the changing voltage on...
  4. Nigel Hewitt

Bent it. Ran over a 30cm curb when I misjudged the surface and gravel skated. Radiator nixed and a ride home on a truck. Insurance claim awaits...
  5. Nigel Hewitt

E300 Hybrid System not engaging

It's not just that it needs the diesel to run the aircon or some variation of that?
  6. Nigel Hewitt

Impatient motorists.

I confess to impatience However in nice sunny weather the E300 stays at home and the Honda superbike comes out. It doesn't like following things either and wilfully encourages me. Bad bike.
  7. Nigel Hewitt

Mercedes Me enquiry

On receiving this I realised I virtually never used it so I pulled the dongle out and opened it up to see if it could be repurposed. Not obviously.... I could make something from scratch but I'm not sure I can be bothered. Something like an ESP32 to do Wi-Fi/Bluetooth but then I have to read up...
  8. Nigel Hewitt

Electric Hoist

Well nautical. It's just the proper name for doubling the rope back with a pulley block so you pull in twice the length at half the load.
  9. Nigel Hewitt

Electric Hoist

I bought a dirt cheap one to move a lathe about in the cellar on Ebay that looks just like the Clarke on in the post above. Yes I had to bend the limit switch to make it work properly and weld up some brackets to suspend it from but it lifted and lowered just fine. It is now sitting in a box...
  10. Nigel Hewitt

E300 diesel hybrid not going into electric mode

When I had similar it was a new vacuum pump that was the fix. No I don't know what the vacuum pump does on a hybrid.
  11. Nigel Hewitt

What have you done to your UnMerc today?

I still have the Mercedes parked at the front but the Honda is now resplendent in no ABS. The Honda C-ABS (the old system) is so renowned for giving up that the brake hose kits to bypass it are available for internet order on next-day delivery. So hopefully I am joining my brother for lunch...
  12. Nigel Hewitt

Any motorcyclists on here as well?

Some of us like the 'snuggled in' riding position of a sports bike. 8)
  13. Nigel Hewitt

The Era of ‘the Car You Own Forever’ Is Coming to an End

You didn't tick the 'no' box on the dash when you left it last night and in the morning it's been upgraded to car17 with the new 'ugly' shape. A lot of your customised features from car16 no longer work but there are new equivalents in CarStore but the functionality has changed. Plus the reviews...
  14. Nigel Hewitt

What have you done to your UnMerc today?

I put some new brake hoses on the Honda totally bypassing the wretched C-ABS. Normality and safety are restored. 'Lever suddenly comes back to bar' syndrome will be gone. Now I need to strip out several kilograms of now redundant junk.
  15. Nigel Hewitt

E300 diesel hybrid

I got mine at three years old and it had dropped a lot of value in that time because nobody wanted to take on the battery. It's still going strong but I said that about the ABS on my Honda that has a similar dismal reputation and it's now in a cardboard box with new 'manual' pipes fitted.
  16. Nigel Hewitt

Well I prepared the bike for its MOT by hard-wiring the ABS warning light to off. The less said about Honda's C-ABS, other than they discontinued it, the better. It passed.
  17. Nigel Hewitt

Air's not free anymore!

ROTFL. I had a P38 Rangie and I carried a scuba tank, a regulator and a garage style filler. I used to need to 'fix' the air suspension with it at times.
  18. Nigel Hewitt

Do you use aircon other than in hot summers?

<shrug> The climate stuff is always on. Currently keeping me warm.
  19. Nigel Hewitt

wow how noisy are these diesel engines !

<shrug> My diesel is quiet and refined. Edging out of a car park on the electric you barely notice when it decides to join the party. Certainly none of the clonkieness of busses/trucks I've driven.
  20. Nigel Hewitt

Getting older and working on your car

Strangely I'll tackle anything on the motorbike but wouldn't touch anything on the car. and yet the bike is newer than the car and probably more complex. but then I can get the bike indoors in the workshop, that's inside the central heating zone. And the workshop has a big vice, a pillar drill...
Top Bottom