Search results

1. P

C220 Cdi w203 how to soften suspension?

Sadly they don't make hydropnumatic Citroens any more and certainly not at a price I can afford. My 220 is the base model and I agree about letting the tyres down, I inadvertently went out in it the other day with only about 10 psi in the front o/s tyre and the ride was superb - unfortunately I...
  2. P

C220 Cdi w203 how to soften suspension?

For many years I drove Citroen hydropnumatic cars and went from there to Peugeot 406's all of which had a comfortable ride. My c220 crashes and bangs over potholes and you seem to be able to feel every irregularity on the the road. I have changed the 16 inch wheels to 15s which has improved it...
  3. P

What is a realistic cost for rear brake pipes replacement?

I recently fitted a new water pump, thermostat and temperature sensor to my w203 d, the parts cost me around sixty five pounds, done by MB you could probably add a thousand pounds to that. I think they assume that if you can afford a MB you can afford to pay their repair prices - I paid less...
  4. P

What Have You Done To Your Merc Today?

Fitted 15" wheels and tyres in place of the 16", it rides a lot better now. Peter
  5. P

Engine overheats when the airconditioning is running

In the olden days that sort of problem could be caused by a partially blocked radiator but with modern cooling systems and year round antifreeze it shouldn't, unless you have had a leak and it has been frequently topped up. Peter
  6. P

Electric car

I think as a second car they are ideal, as if its only used for school runs, shopping etc it probably won't clock up more than 50 miles in a day, if you remember to charge it every night most of them will do well over that. Running and maintenance costs should be fairly low, especially if you...
  7. P

Are my injector holes clean enough or not?

They are cleaner than the ones on my C220 and that's running fine now, so I would say yes. I didn't re seat mine, the looked pretty smooth. Peter
  8. P

Stick with 19" wheels or bump to 20"?

I don't much like the ride on my C220 with 16" tyres and am actively looking for some 15" wheels. I am used to driving hydropnumatic Citroens. Peter
  9. P

Mileage - still relevant??

I bought my C220 Cdi at about 230k miles, after a bit of fettling it has now done a few thousand more. I had a couple of citroen XM's that had done nearly 300k and were still going well, compare that with the '50s when most cars were in the scrap yard by about 60k, that's why timing chains never...
  10. P

What your car says about you

Mine is old and tatty.:confused: Peter
  11. P

Any views on the 'new' 2 litre diesel OM654

I got over 70 mpg from my W 203 C220 Cdi on a recent trip to Scotland - but I only drive at about 60 mph. Peter
  12. P

W203 and W204 Cdi's compared

More features definitely not, there's enough to go wrong now. The published fuel consumption figures of the 204 are substantially higher than the published figures for mine but 204 owners experience seems to say otherwise, if that is so I shall probably not be changing it. I only paid £490 for...
  13. P

Is there any point in engine under tray and is it easy to remove - w124 300D

You could drill some holes in it at the lowest points. Peter
  14. P

Thanks for that. The figures given are dramatically different so I take it they are not proven. Peter
  15. P

GLA45 AMG Fuel Consumption - excessive??

I had already come to that conclusion with previous cars, but thanks anyway. Can anyone tell me how the ride compares between the 203 and 204, I find the 203 a bit hard compared with my Peugeot 406, although the 406 I bought recently has 16 inch tyres and that's hard compared with the old one...
  16. P

Thanks for all the extra posts, I hadn't seen them as for some reason the ended up in the junk mail.:oops: The information has been very useful. I was looking at the fuel consumption of the blue something? engines and the economy seems amazing - if its true, I am averaging about 60 mpg with my...
  17. P

Thanks for that, very informative. The fuel consumption figures given for the 204 sound incredible I wonder if they match the spec? I only drive at about 60 mph and max 2000 rpm, I find it a lot less stressful on the motorway. Most of the journeys we do are reasonably long, we live out in the...
  18. P

I wonder if anyone has owned both and has any experiences of the pro's and con's. I have an early 203 estate, my first Merc and am impressed with it, especially the 70 mpg + I got on a recent trip to Scotland (I do drive a bit like a snail). Repairing them myself is a necessity as I can't...
  19. P

What Have You Done To Your Merc Today?

I have been working out our fuel consumption for our recent trip to the north of Scotland. I drive like an old man - which I am, mainly for economy. No rapid acceleration or hard braking and at around 60 mph on the motorway, if you can bear to to it the results can be surprising. The car has...
  20. P

New Insurance Sub-Forum

I usually trawl the comparison sites every year but a few years ago the prices were ridiculous so I tried Direct Line, they were cheaper than any of them and seem to be a pretty decent company. I have been with them for 3 years now and their prices are still competitive and they don't charge you...

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom