w124

1. T

W124 clunking noise, front suspension/steering

I'm getting a 'clunking' sound (nearest best description) at the front RHS end on my '95 E280 W124 estate (120k mileage) when going over severe speed bumps (at low speed), sudden braking or acceleration from standstill, or turning at mid/near full-lock (low speed). The noise is intermittent...
  2. A

W124 - one stop shop for rust and others!

Hi all, I've had my lovely 1994 E320 coupe for nearly 6 months now and there are a few things I really want to get up to scratch, but... being a bit lazy I was wondering if it could all be taken care of in one place in one trip, what do you think?? Problems: Rust around jacking points...
  3. S

w124 suspension clunking

Hi Folks, new to this forum and in the last months have become proud owner of a 1996 W124 E220 Estate, 120k on the clock and in pretty good shape. It has a fairly full set of paperwork, serviced by main dearler till 90k and also the original bill of sale for £28k. Cost £1800 from a chap in...
  4. D

W124 service advice

I have a 1992 200te with about 177000 miles on the clock and I am planning on giving it a quick service this weekend from the looks of it it has not had one for at least 2 years. It has a noisy/tapping lifter on start up and for about 5-10mins after. So I was thinking of using an engine flush to...
  5. A

W124 Sportline ball joints

Hello all, I have just taken my (relatively) newly purchased 1994 E320 coupe in for a thorough check over and the dreaded B service. As well as fixing a few minor annoyances, the garage has come back with a couple of more serious issues... Apparently the ball joints on the front...
  6. C

W124 Rear Brake mystery

Hi all Looking for some help on my 1992 200e A/T. It failed it's local roadworthy test (MOT) today due to the rear brakes not working properly. All seems fine when driving and reversing as the brakes stop the car with no shudder, judder or any other "udder" :), the pedal does not feel...
  7. M

W124 Rear Fog Light

Took my E220 for MoT, passed on everything except rear fog light! Bulb is good, fuse is good, and the indicator light on the switch in the cabin illuminates when switch is pulled out. But there is no current at the wire at the rear panel... (tested with multimeter). I realise there must be a...
  8. M

W124 E200 blower stopped working.

Blower stopped working over the space of a week, heat still comes out but no air. Have searched forums and people suggesting 30amp fuse either behind speedo or under bonnet near left wheel arch cannot find either of these nor anything connected with blower in fuse box next to relay. I have...
  9. K

W124 230CE M102.982 over heating

I am having trouble with over heating when stalled. I have read some post regarding the same problem, and the solution seems to be the thermo switch on top of the engine (2 pin red connector). My problem is that when I short the wires (to test if the magnet fan is working ) the fuse blows. Is...
  10. D

W124 Saloon – Cutting Power to the Electric Aerial

Hi all, For a while now the electric aerial on my 1991 W124 200E Saloon has been stuck in the extended position and to be honest it hasn’t bothered me and I have just lived with it. Every time the radio was turned on or off you could hear the electric motor trying to extend or retract the...
  11. S

W124 Estate Self close mechanism

Hi all! I have been tinkering with the panzerwagen and I got the tailgate self closing to work, but it wouldn't switch off the interior lights. So I adjusted the mechanism so it closed a bit tighter, but then couldn't get the damn tailgate to open at all! I had to buy a large philips...
  12. W

W124 1995 M Reg Estate E300D fuel tank leak

W124 1995 M Reg Estate E300D fuel tank leak My tank leaks, when car is nearly full, and I would really like to know please 1. how easy to remove tank 2. will a tank from a previous model fit, e.g G Reg Appreciate everyones help and assistance in advance.
  13. M

W124 Interior bulbs blowing - why?

I bought a 1993 W124 E220 coupe a couple of months ago (110k miles) and this forum has been great for fettling advice. But I have now replaced three interior bulbs (two on heater controls, one on auto gearbox indicator light) and now a bulb on the instrument dash has blown. Is there a likely...
  14. S

W124 250TD manual - clutch/gearbox gone?

Over the last two days my W124 has first felt like the synchro was going - crunchy gear-changes (alleviated by double de-clutching), and just now would not go into reverse as all - much grinding. I let it drop down the slope alongside the house to park it, but then could not select 1st (or any...
  15. S

W124 Rear SLS drawing/part number?

I need to identify a section of SLS pipework for my 1988 W124. Looking at the rear suspension leg there is a reverse L-shaped section which connects with the the hydraulic ram at the top of the L. At the open end of the horizontal arm of the L is a union with a section of pipe that has a...
  16. S

Turbo Technics W124 saloons - any still about?

I delivered a window regulator by hand yesterday to a dealer as he was very close, and he had a yard full of Mercedes of all ages/models including a few G-Wagens. Tucked away was a green W124 saloon that was his own car, though judging by the grass round it it'd been a while since it had...
  17. W

w124 230TE Aux Fan not Cutting In

Hi there, My 230TE overheated the oher day (lots of steam - and yes I am aware the antifreeze level needs checking:)!) and today I finally got round to checking the reason. This is proving harder than I thought - I've checked the forums and cannot find anything similar given what I have...
  18. A

W124 E220 estate - MOT fail - emissions

My 1994 W124 E220 auto has just failed it's MOT on a few points, front bulbs wrong colour, rear brake pad below min thickness (1.5mm) and emissions, which is the one that is biggest worry: Fast Idle test CO 0.96% HC 217ppm Lamda 1.20 2nd Fast Idle test CO 0.89% HC 224ppm Lamda 1.21...
  19. A

W124 230TE Water Pump removal / refitting

I'm scribing my experiences of removing and replacing the water pump on my 1991 230te auto, and have put up a draft on Google docs. It's a work in progress, and I'd be grateful for comments/suggestions from interested MBO bods. I don't have the car anymore so some details are a bit hazy but...
  20. R

W124 ABS light - It's The OVP Relay but why?

After bringing my 124 E320 out of hibernation I found that the ABS light stayed on. I searched the forums on this excellent site and realised that it was probably the OVP relay. I charged the battery and checked the 15amp fuse on the top of the relay but neither solved the problem. I then...

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom