£ 750 for new spark plugs...

frejo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AMG C55T -05
I know now why it's called "Stealership". It's time for new spark plugs and here in Gothenburg the dealer wants appr. £ 750. And if I don't let them do it I'm thrown out of the Mobilo. It's rather annoying...

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I wouldn't worry.
Anecdotal evidence from the UK suggests that Mobilo cover isn't that great and certainly trumped by any third party cover.

I would have expected that the plugs would retail for around £160, certainly no more than £200. Over £500 for labour is extremely excessive.

I'm sure that one of our tame independent will post how much they'd charge and if my figures are right you could probably get breakdown cover and an aftermarket warranty that would give you better service than Mobilo.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It takes about 1½ hours to change these plugs and I have done it with just one hand.

Why not do it your self and use someone like" motormenen" I forget how to spell it

Z

zook31

I think I will set up a spark plug mobile fitting service I will fly out and fit them for £750! :D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think I will set up a spark plug mobile fitting service I will fly out and fit them for £750! :D

Ryan air cost £50 return, plugs cost £98 the complete set, back home for dinner :D:D

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Ryan air cost £50 return, plugs cost £98 the complete set, back home for dinner :D:D
Hi
If one takes the plugs from the UK, how much custom duty/vat does one have to pay when landing at the other end ?

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
No duty to be paid on any goods transferred within the EEC as long as duty has been paid in the source country .i.e. buy them in the UK and pay nothing when sending to Sweden.

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
Have you asked them for a quote just for labour?

Or maybe calling the dealer in Oslo and seeing what they quote you? With and without parts supplied?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Have you asked them for a quote just for labour?

Or maybe calling the dealer in Oslo and seeing what they quote you? With and without parts supplied?

Wrong country, its Sweden, I hope that Niall see's the thread

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wrong country, its Sweden, I hope that Niall see's the thread

Yeah I get that, but I meant it would be interesting to see how much they charge over the border for the same work.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yeah I get that, but I meant it would be interesting to see how much they charge over the border for the same work.

Then one must ask in Denmark, there a new SL500 cost £235,000 ;)

OP
F

frejo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AMG C55T -05
They're charging appr £ 400 the the labour. And they also say, which is rather funny I think, that the Merc labeled plugs probably are of better quality than NGK or Bosch. They also want £ 800 for the B-service and another 150 for changing the brake fluid.

I checked with another Merc-dealer, up north sínce I'm going there for christmas anyway, and they'll do it all for £800.

It's not that I'm afraid changing the plugs myself. I can get 16 NGK for about a hundred from UK. But then I'll void my Mobilo. Maybe Mobilo isn't worth that much and I can get a "Motormännen" (that's what they're called Malcolm...)? But I've heard that by doing this you also void the rust warranty. But that's perhaps of no value either?

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Then one must ask in Denmark, there a new SL500 cost £235,000 ;)

Most things between the two countries are pretty similar price wise, I think that it would give a good idea of what it should cost, certainly better than comparing with UK and US forums.

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I checked with another Merc-dealer, up north sínce I'm going there for christmas anyway, and they'll do it all for £800.

There you go then, B Service, plugs and brake fluid for £800 is a lot better.

Will your local dealer not match this price?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Better :shock: thats only 4 hours work to do that lot

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I can't quite grasp those barmy prices but,
in england if you buy your plugs from MB and present the dealer with the receipt at service time they will keep your Mobilo up.
I have done it with filters.
You can only ask.

Last edited:
OP
F

frejo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AMG C55T -05
There you go then, B Service, plugs and brake fluid for £800 is a lot better.

Will your local dealer not match this price?

One of the service men, who is a nice guy, said that he would lower the price with 20 %, but he understood that it doesn't matter. They have very nice facilities though and the only AMG-center in the world outside China, and someone has to pay...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I can't quite grasp those barmy prices but,
in england if you buy your plugs from MB and present the dealer with the receipt at service time they will keep your Mobilo up.
I have done it with filters.
You can only ask.

They would not stamp my book if I fitted the plugs, no matter where I bought them

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I know now why it's called "Stealership". It's time for new spark plugs and here in Gothenburg the dealer wants appr. £ 750. And if I don't let them do it I'm thrown out of the Mobilo. It's rather annoying...

If it's any consolation, I believe Aston Martin charge a couple of thousand GB Pounds for a plug change on a V12, partly 'justified' because they change the individual coil per plug and plus labour of course - not that it's a 'problem' for me, but that's what a bloke at work was quoted for his Aston ......... he declined their very generous offer & did them himself :lol::lol::lol:

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Better :shock: thats only 4 hours work to do that lot

True, but I guess there is £120 worth of oil, £120 worth of plugs (Swedish prices with tax) and then 4 hours worth of labour, £130 an hour at MB Norwich before discount.
So all in all definitely better and probably not too far off Merc UK dealer prices now.

But, as you say, do it yourself for £250 and a few hours of your time.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom