£20k (ish) to Spend on 2nd Mercedes??

Kalley

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI SPORT (W211)
I'm looking to chop in my BMW 320CD SPORT (2004) for a 2nd Mercedes (I am hooked!).

Thinking about either using my E320CDI as my every day work car and getting a B Class for the wife and baby?

OR.......WAIT FOR IT.....

Let the wife and baby carry on with the E and get myself:

1) SL350 (2004/5)
2) CLK350 (2008/9)

Any thoughts?

What is the B Class like as a car?

E320mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi sport 2007
Wife has a B150 se, we kinda bought our 2 cars at the same time! I have to be honest and say I do like driving her car, is just nice to get out of mine and into something which is just the total opposite!
There is a new B class coming out sometime soon, not sure how soon though so there could be the possibility of getting a good deal on the current B class! Keep the E for yourself though!!

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
B,class is a good all round motor, don't have any problems to speak of, unusual to say that about a merc!!!

OP
Kalley

Kalley

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI SPORT (W211)
Yep B Class in Sport spec looks the part too....is it me or do MB tend to make every outgoing model a SPORT spec shortly before replacement?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Is not the sport the one with the very hard suspension

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Have a look at this thread.

Sport has horrid hard suspension until recently -I think about April 2010- when they changed to the 'comfort suspension' on both the SE and Sport models. But they have 18 inch wheels on the Sport version which have very hard-walled low profile tyres. Having driven both, the SE version has a much more Mercedes-like ride.

OP
Kalley

Kalley

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI SPORT (W211)
Have a look at this thread.

Sport has horrid hard suspension until recently -I think about April 2010- when they changed to the 'comfort suspension' on both the SE and Sport models. But they have 18 inch wheels on the Sport version which have very hard-walled low profile tyres. Having driven both, the SE version has a much more Mercedes-like ride.

Very useful and thank you.....I had the new E Class as a courtesy car for the last 2 days in SPORT spec (AMG Wheels etc).

I was NOT impressed could feel every bump and didnt drive smoothly like my W211. Felt like it was trying to be a BMW if you know what I mean?

But with that said it was a 4 cylinder petrol......:(

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
I'm looking to chop in my BMW 320CD SPORT (2004) for a 2nd Mercedes (I am hooked!).

Thinking about either using my E320CDI as my every day work car and getting a B Class for the wife and baby?

OR.......WAIT FOR IT.....

Let the wife and baby carry on with the E and get myself:

1) SL350 (2004/5)
2) CLK350 (2008/9)

Any thoughts?

What is the B Class like as a car?

Hmmmmmmmmmm I prefer the second option but a B class is higher and easy to load little ones into, and more parking friendly.

However, as a car guy, I think the CLK350 option is a nice one, and a low maintainence one. What also about a SLK as well. £20k ought to get you something nice.

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
Why not go all out and look for CLK55 amg and give the E320 to wife??

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Got a B Class 160 Blue efficiency at the moment, ride bounces around, trim cheap, you might as well get a VW Golf and save some money its quieter.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Got a B Class 160 Blue efficiency at the moment, ride bounces around, trim cheap, you might as well get a VW Golf and save some money its quieter.

Guess you have the Sport version or oversize wheels. The B's I have driven ride at least as well as the Golf and offer a lot more room inside, much more legroom front and rear, and much better interior trim. B class top of its class in JD Power. Get a diesel and it it is only doing 2,000 revs at 80 mph and is remarkably quiet as reviewers have noted.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
It is pretty poor alround, cheap trim, bouncy ride averaging 34 when driven locally and under instruction of the nagging dash (which was surely made by Amstrad).
I dislike it intensely it rides on Continental 205/55/16'S having driven the Golf and the B Class at length I see no reason to buy the Mercedes.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
It is pretty poor alround, cheap trim, bouncy ride averaging 34 when driven locally and under instruction of the nagging dash (which was surely made by Amstrad).
I dislike it intensely it rides on Continental 205/55/16'S having driven the Golf and the B Class at length I see no reason to buy the Mercedes.

Well having driven several thousand miles in both, I can't agree. As one reviewer said 'closing the glove box on the B class is like shutting the door of a bank vault'. Interior, switches, steering wheel, gear lever etc etc are all very similar to E class. The seats are full size (take a tape measure and they are as big as those on an R class or ML). The legroom is better than any competitor. The wheelbase is longer than a C class or Lexus IS. And the diesel versions now offer over 50 mpg combined even in automatic versions. Hard to argue with the 2010 J D Power survey which asks thousands of owners their views on cars they own and the B class came top in its class, so most owners appear to share a pretty high view of it.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Well I have to take your opinion as valid, but I have just come home in a B160 Blue Efficiency which I am running and must assume they are perhaps made elsewhere to a lower spec.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Well I have to take your opinion as valid, but I have just come home in a B160 Blue Efficiency which I am running and must assume they are perhaps made elsewhere to a lower spec.

All made in the same factory which I've had the pleasure of going round. The A's are built there too. I had one of the first B's when they first came out and did factory collection which is well worthwhile.

nrg220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220cdi Elegance Saloon
20K to buy

£20K should be plenty, I bought a 3 year olf C Class Elegance 220CDI for £17.5K it had done 5800 miles, its like a brand new car, black with almond beige and all the bits and extras and that was from a MB dealer

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom