£30's of diesel and only 190 miles....somethings wrong..right?

Mounis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220CDI W211 Avant
Just a quick post.

Normally I fill my car right up with a full tank but recently I've had to fill at a BP garage so I've only popped in £30 as I knew it'd run out soon so I could use Esso stuff again.

Basically on Sat I did about two hundred miles but filled the car with £30 worth of diesel £15 first time round hoping I'd find an Esso but got unlucky so had to fill again. When I got home the car was on empty (again) and I felt a bit freaked out. It still reads an average of about 39mpg (since reset) and for the second £15 worth of fuel it reads an average of 42mpg yet it had only done about 70 miles and was showing empty again....

Any thoughts guys (and girls!)

dogsbody

Reaction score
£30's of diesel and only 190 miles

Looks like you have a problem with your fuel tank sender.
You quote £15 worth of diesel, @42 miles per gallon, with I make roughly 3 gallons, so 3 x42 = 126miles - yet you only covered 70 miles.
Might be worth dipping the fuel tank with an old "curly wurly" curtain rail thingy ( like long flexible spring) to see if you have rather more diesel in the tank than the gauge is showing.
Fuel gauges are like politicians - they tend to fib!

OP
Mounis

Mounis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220CDI W211 Avant
hmm...thats food for thought....

sounded like a plan until I realised I filled it up this morning (d'oh) and it took almost 55 litres... so the sender must be fine...

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom