£4,000 to Replace SL, R230 Fuel Tank!!!

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
that was wicked !! ;)

I hope he has polished his worry beads he might just need them given that Mic has not asked him to take on some of his worries for a while:D

Mounis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220CDI W211 Avant
Well if its 20 hrs labour, @ indy prices thats what £1200 or so....and if it were my fuel tank I'd have it cut open, baffle welded in place and sealed shut for £200 or so....

Thats under £1500 for the repair....

Unless I'm being a right plum I can't think of why it's not possible?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Well if its 20 hrs labour, @ indy prices thats what £1200 or so....and if it were my fuel tank I'd have it cut open, baffle welded in place and sealed shut for £200 or so....

Thats under £1500 for the repair....

Unless I'm being a right plum I can't think of why it's not possible?

Well I have said on one of these threads that a friend of mine removed his pump float unit and by using some blacksmiths long nosed pliers, wound the loose baffle up and pulled it out through the hole.

There is still quite a lot of work in getting to the pump unit

mandrake

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 c250 d
Boooooooom !!!!

many companies weld fuel tanks ,even in place .they drain the tank and flood it with an inert gas like carbon dioxide , take the oxy out of the triangle and no boom easy .

Mounis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220CDI W211 Avant
Boooooooom !!!!

LOL - You'd assume that the tank would be drained/flushed etc before any welding commenced... I thought that most of us on the forum would've seen that as a given.... ;-)

Mounis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220CDI W211 Avant
Well I have said on one of these threads that a friend of mine removed his pump float unit and by using some blacksmiths long nosed pliers, wound the loose baffle up and pulled it out through the hole.

There is still quite a lot of work in getting to the pump unit

Personally if I was fortunate enough to be experiencing this luxurious problem I'd keep the tank max'd or do what you've suggested here... but the somewhat ocd part of me wouldn't want fuel sloshing around so I'd want a permanent fix...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Personally if I was fortunate enough to be experiencing this luxurious problem I'd keep the tank max'd or do what you've suggested here... but the somewhat ocd part of me wouldn't want fuel sloshing around so I'd want a permanent fix...

Well I do not have this tank fault as said, the fuel sloshing around is minimal and it does not trouble me

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
LOL - You'd assume that the tank would be drained/flushed etc before any welding commenced... I thought that most of us on the forum would've seen that as a given.... ;-)

Indeed - and I thought most of us on the forum would have seen my post as the joke it was.:rolleyes:

However - cutting & welding in place in the instance requires access to the tank, the ability to cut out a section big enough, the ability to see through metal beforehand to know that the bit you are cutting doesn't have one end of a baffle already welded to it, the faith to know that when you are in there the loose baffle is able to be reached, held in place & welded.

Welding is certainly an option with the tank on the floor - by which time you have incurred half the labour costs - but in this model welding in place is fraught with hurdles

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Indeed - and I thought most of us on the forum would have seen my post as the joke it was.:rolleyes:

However - cutting & welding in place in the instance requires access to the tank, the ability to cut out a section big enough, the ability to see through metal beforehand to know that the bit you are cutting doesn't have one end of a baffle already welded to it, the faith to know that when you are in there the loose baffle is able to be reached, held in place & welded.

Welding is certainly an option with the tank on the floor - by which time you have incurred half the labour costs - but in this model welding in place is fraught with hurdles

Yes the 20 hours involved is the labour to get to it, just thinking about the little balls that Bolide put up,,how do you get them out if they do not help or make it worse in the case of the sloshing fuel rather than the loose baffle

carnut13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL400 & Audi A1 Sport
I hope he has polished his worry beads he might just need them given that Mic has not asked him to take on some of his worries for a while:D

I would refer you to a previous post of mine which once said

" a large clump of earth off!" ..to be polite and within the Forum rules bout swearing :grin:

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
I would refer you to a previous post of mine which once said

" a large clump of earth off!" ..to be polite and within the Forum rules bout swearing :grin:

Now now just because you have had nothing of late to occupy your worry beads:rolleyes:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Now now just because you have had nothing of late to occupy your worry beads:rolleyes:

But carnut has got something to worry about, his 5p off on petrol coupon, he cannot cash it in

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And my ****** move to Devon!!

The builders are doing well though:grin:

At least I may come and say hello one day, so things could not get much worse

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
it is not a 20 hr job to change the tank, more like half that.

did 2x earlier this year, had a look inside both (one SL500, one SL55 AMG). on both tanks the stray baffle was the full width of the tank, and in no way removable through any holes on the tank.
interestingly the AMG tanks have an extra fuel pump inside, and are harder to change because of the exhaust system making access to the pump underneath harder - i am sure colin doesn't struggle though with his magic hands :D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom