124 Coupe or SL??

Mercky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
96 W124 320 Coupe
Hi,

Have a nice W124 320 coupe sportline and am seriously considering changing up to a R129 98 320SL V6, it's obviously a bit of a financial undertaking so I'm wondering is it worth it? The coupe is really nice in reality with that infamous 124 reliability and strength, it's also not too expensive to maintain. Will an SL drive me into bankrupcy???? will it be genuinely more expensive to run then the coupe? I will be using the SL every day doing about 10k a year. The SL has low miles and one owner and seems fairly sorted. Honest opinions please!!

thanks in advance

Mercky

Last edited:

heckflosse

Reaction score
I'm driving a '83 R107 500SL as a daily driver and I'm having (touch wood) far less problems than when I had my W124 E220 coupe.

sooper coop

Reaction score
Keep the W124 as well would be the answer.

if youve got the extra 2/3k. Your laughing. If not.

buy some tissues and get over it. Your still getting an SL....

kkmfo

Reaction score
Mercky
I had a 97P SL320 for a couple of years. I was nervous when I bought it about running costs etc but it proved to be very reliable and barely more expensive to run than something much more run of the mill.
I only sold it to upgrade to an SL60 AMG - the 6litre V8 version of the 129. I wouldn't have done so if I hadn't been confident about the quality and reliability of these cars overall.
I haven't driven a 124 so couldn't offer you a comparison. But I suspect that given their legendary build quality there will be few cars that will feel so good, and the 129 SL is one of them.
The best thing is that you get 2 cars in one. Summer time soft top and winter time coupe. With the hard top on the cabin is very quiet and refined at any speed.
I recently had my SL stolen and considered replacing it with a 911 or an XK8. I drove both but neither were adequate replacements. So I bought another SL60 AMG.
I have used all my SLs as everyday cars and do approx 10K miles per yr.
Couldn't rate them highly enough and wouldn't change for anything else sub-£80K.

timslim

Reaction score
Got my SL320 about 4 months ago - and not looked back. Before then I had a mazda RX-8, the SL is cheaper to run.......I agree with the previous comments, forget the worries your in an SL ! 8)

Top Bottom