1958 sl190

Nick Gibbs

Reaction score
A friend of mine is looking to buy the above. I am going with him to look at the car as I own a classic and know a few of the pitfalls of owning a 40 year old car:rolleyes:

Can anyone advise if there are any specific problems to look out for on these cars other than the obvious (rust, rust and more rust!) It is a convertible but has a new soft top and is a LHD US import.

Any comments/tips/recommendations would be appreciated. Also, do you think £20k is a reasonable price (assuming it is in the excellent condition it is stated to be).

Reaction score
190sl

In answer to your question, is 20K a reasonable price ? I would say NO these cars are selling for between £100,000 and £150.000. If this car is being sold for £20.000, either you have got a real bargain or there is something drastically wrong with it.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This car is not the gulwing, and it is those that fetch the high money. there is a few in europe for sale around 55,000 euro's.

malcolm

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
The value in a car like that is very much in originality & provenance. If it's a US import it may well have been ruthlessly over-restored the other side of the pond

Unless you know enough to state whether the leather / trim / instruments / handles / etc are original or pukka Mercedes replacements I wouldn't venture an opinion. The new soft top is a classic example... is it a proper Mercedes-supplied top? I reckon it won't be!

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

OP
N

Nick Gibbs

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. It isnt the "gullwing" unfortunately, and I would imagine this is far from a matching numbers specimen. Having said that it is in very good condition, looking at the photos, and my mate is not looking for concourse just a fun reliable classic convertible.

On the basis that this is a "restored" car in good but not A1 condition, I thought £20k was fairly reasonable. Does anyone know how parts supply is on something this age? On my car there are a raft of after-market suppliers and NOS parts but I dont know anything about classic Mercs.

Also, any tips on things specific to old Mercs to watch out for would be a great help.

Thanks for your time and help guys.:)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom