1989 190e loud clicking from rear hub after puncture.

mike bird

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320-96-190e-89-2.0 sportliners
Following puncture to rear right moved car 100yds to flat to change wheel -loud clicking noise - changed wheel to spare moved car 200 yds to garage still loud clicking noise from rear right. Is this wheel bearing or worse? Merc garage says (on phone) nuts too long ( from alloys to steel spare) fouling handbrake but made same noise before changing wheel. Seeking independant in s. Brittany . would welcome any ideas on this before spend....

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
My first thought was bolts hitting parking brake mechanism. Easy to check... Jack up car and spin wheel. Remove wheel and spin hub.
Also if the bolts are hitting the mechanism there will be witness marks on the end of the bolt.

Alloy wheel bolts are too long to use with steel wheels. You should have a separate set of bolts for the spare. It's quite possible the parking brake mechanism has now been damaged.

Also if they are non-original alloys the wrong length bolt may have been used.

OP
M

mike bird

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My first thought was bolts hitting parking brake mechanism. Easy to check... Jack up car and spin wheel. Remove wheel and spin hub.
Also if the bolts are hitting the mechanism there will be witness marks on the end of the bolt.

Alloy wheel bolts are too long to use with steel wheels. You should have a separate set of bolts for the spare. It's quite possible the parking brake mechanism has now been damaged.

Also if they are non-original alloys the wrong length bolt may have been used.

Thank you for this LostKiwi, I have done as you suggest and the bolts do seem to be too long for steels by 3-4 mm from the marks.
I cannot work out from diagrams etc. what damage may have been done to the parking brake. When the hub turns can hear the brake pads rubbing a little.
I did find a spare set of bolts with the jack kit but they were the same length! They will be replaced with a proper set for the spare.
Photo shows where the bolt was clipping on something.

upload_2018-7-30_17-55-42.png

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Bolts will hit the springs and possibly the clevis that links the parking brake cable and operates the parking brake.
If they hit the springs the springs can break as can the clevis which will make the brake inoperative.

OP
M

mike bird

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Bolts will hit the springs and possibly the clevis that links the parking brake cable and operates the parking brake.
If they hit the springs the springs can break as can the clevis which will make the brake inoperative.
Had to wait a little while for a slot at a local recommended garage. The parking brake mechanism was checked over and adjusted to a proper efficiency. Fortunately no damage done on this occasion. 53euros - cannot complain. So thank you for your words of wisdom on this which allowed me to take action to identify the problem and not cause any further damage. Also let me speak to the mechanic without being too naïve (which always helps in la belle France) Very grateful for your help Lost Kiwi.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Had to wait a little while for a slot at a local recommended garage. The parking brake mechanism was checked over and adjusted to a proper efficiency. Fortunately no damage done on this occasion. 53euros - cannot complain. So thank you for your words of wisdom on this which allowed me to take action to identify the problem and not cause any further damage. Also let me speak to the mechanic without being too naïve (which always helps in la belle France) Very grateful for your help Lost Kiwi.
You're welcome.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom