1991 300D Do I sell it?

Ian McB

Reaction score
I'm considering selling my 300D as I can't justify keeping it for the daily 14 mile round trip to work. It's got 170k on the clock,H reg,cruise control,full electrics,AMG front bumper and rear spoiler,silver paint,2 recent front wings,Duchatelet 5 spoke alloys,no holes in the drivers seat,dark grey/black interior,recent fuel, oil and air filter changes,needs a flexi section in the exhaust as it's blowing a bit,rear arches have wee bits of surface rust but nothing bad at all,masses of service history with loads of bills/reciepts,towbar with full electrics.

My question is
What could I expect to get for this car? If it's a low price,then I'll keep it.Otherwise I may get a wee diesel for the commute and summat else for fun.

I'll post a few pics later

Any advice appreciated

Thanks folks

Ian

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
There is no dought that older diesel cars sell better than petrol. I sold a1988 petrol 300TE, mileage 120K, a year ago for £950 on e-bay. The car had full history (MB and Indie), and all the electrics but lacked leather and air-con, so I was very pleased with the proceeds of the sale.The only problem the car had was a slight oil leak from the gearbox.

As regards value of your 300D, it isn't an estate which will go against it, I think a lot of people realise the carrying capability of the estate so it has another string to its bow so as to speak. At 15yrs old, I would have thought that in the condition you describe the car it might realise between £500-750 on e-bay.

If your not too concerned about selling you can always put the car on e-bay and set the reserve price at the least you are prepared to accept for the car. I found that advertising in autotrader was a waste of time and expensive and that e-bay gave me national coverage at a fraction of the price.

One last comment I would make is that I sold my petrol 124 because I was fed up with the cost of filling it with fuel, and I am now running a diesel car.

Unless your ready for a change, perhaps, 'better the devil you know'.

Hope this helps in your considerations!

Last edited:
OP
I

Ian McB

Reaction score
Cheers for the info. I've decided to keep her for the foreseeable future,taking into consideration tax and test for 2 cars(3 including the wife's Alfa 145 Cloverleaf) makes financial sense to keep the 300D.When it comes down to it, the running costs aren't that bad and parts are cheap enough from GSF/ECP.Maybe I'll see if I can take her through the 500K miles mark!!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom