1998 C180 Immobiliser problem-please help!

Halcyon-Pure

Reaction score
Purchased my first Mercedes this past Saturday, and very pleased I am with it too except for one small (large?) problem.

Car (T Reg. C180 Classic) seems to have a problem with its immobiliser, but a particular problem that I haven't yet come across on this forum despite searching.

No problem starting the car. No problems opening the car. Fob locks the car too, but then trouble begins. Instead of 3 flashes of front lights indicating lock, lights continue to flash ominously before alarm eventually goes off. Have tried various button combinations but none will lock the car and not set off the alarm. Replaced batteries in the fob but no change. Only way I can lock the car is by hand with pull out key.

I'll confess to knowing nothing about cars in general, especially Mercs, but has long been a dream of mine to own one. Please advise. I live in a rural area and am not overly anxious about the immobiliser-in fact I'm thinking it might be better to have it disabled some how. I am anxious to avoid a huge bill however as buying the car in the first place has cleaned me out. Can anybody suggest any answers/tell me how to disable the immobiliser please?

Many thanks,

Chris.

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
I don,t think your problem is your immobiliser or the car would not start the immobiliser on your vehicle is the key the car recognises your key and enables the car to start. You will not be able to disable this without difficulty as it is an integrated into the car.
Make sure there is nothing hanging from the rear view mirror as this can set the alarm off also shut all your heater vents don,t think this will be the cause but apperently has been known. You could also try removing the boot, glove box lamp and clean the door switches, see if it that makes any difference.
If you have a owners handbook follow the procedure for reseting the windows and sunroof as if this is,nt done the car thinks the windows are down and sets the alarm off apparently.
If after doing the above and it still doing it you could try putting insulation tape over the movement sensors for the alarm inside the car
These are the common reasons for the alarm giving false indications there maybe more but others with greater knowledge of these systems i feel sure will post later

type49

Reaction score
Good chance you have water in your siren. As a temp. repair, you could get a price on coding OUT your alarm system. This will only take 10 mins max but can only be done by an MB "STAR" machine or independant equivalent.

OP
H

Halcyon-Pure

Reaction score
Thanks so much for this help. Spent the evening fiddling around-mildly confident problem pertains to boot sensor. So grateful as I was convinced this was an immobiliser problem and could well have spent huge sums pursuing it!

Thanks again,

Chris.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom