1998 C240 Sport A/C Compressor

alffa164

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 C240 Sport
Hi, i just got a 1998 C240 Sport (manual transmision) and i did have problems with the A/C. When i bought it the guy told me the A/C wasnt cooling very cold, in fact... it wasnt cooling at all.

I just took it yesterday to an A/C workshop and they discovered two leaks and they were extremely easy to fix. The experience this guy has made him discover the leaks in less than 1 minute and he told me:

" This model of MB has problems with the O-rings in the freon gas line, specially in the one that goes from the refuelling valve on top to the compressor and the other one is the located on the tube that goes from the compressor to the condenser"

He took out both of the tubes and the o-rings were really really bad, so he changed them with some VW o-ring he had lying around and problem solved (leaks).

Then he charged the 134A freon gas and i turned on the car, then the A/c at full power and the compressor started doing a funy noise... tac-tac-tac-tac-tac-tac.... so this means i need a new compressor????

The guy put some A/C oil in the line to check if the compressor just needed some lube but the tac-tac-tac sound was still there. Any ideas????

If anyone has any idea where can i get a not too expensive one i will highly appreciate it!

Iain the gadget

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 230CLK W163 ML270cdi
Hi, i just got a 1998 C240 Sport (manual transmision) and i did have problems with the A/C. When i bought it the guy told me the A/C wasnt cooling very cold, in fact... it wasnt cooling at all.

I just took it yesterday to an A/C workshop and they discovered two leaks and they were extremely easy to fix. The experience this guy has made him discover the leaks in less than 1 minute and he told me:

" This model of MB has problems with the O-rings in the freon gas line, specially in the one that goes from the refuelling valve on top to the compressor and the other one is the located on the tube that goes from the compressor to the condenser"

He took out both of the tubes and the o-rings were really really bad, so he changed them with some VW o-ring he had lying around and problem solved (leaks).

Then he charged the 134A freon gas and i turned on the car, then the A/c at full power and the compressor started doing a funy noise... tac-tac-tac-tac-tac-tac.... so this means i need a new compressor????

The guy put some A/C oil in the line to check if the compressor just needed some lube but the tac-tac-tac sound was still there. Any ideas????

If anyone has any idea where can i get a not too expensive one i will highly appreciate it!

Isn't R134a illegal now?:(

OP
A

alffa164

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 C240 Sport
I dont know... thats what the guy said the car uses and i confirmed that in the manual.

I dont know much about these gases but thats the one suposed to be charged. In the cars manual appears as "ecological".

Any idea about where can i get the compressor?

thanks!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Get one from a breaker ask Rob Parker a member here

OP
A

alffa164

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 C240 Sport
Thank you Malcolm. I searched for Rob Parker but i couldnt find a match in the forums members list.

Any idea how can I contact him?

cheers!!!

Top Bottom