1998 C250TD - air in diesel lines

AMH

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm really hoping that you can help me with this one. I'm posting on behalf on my dad who isn't on-line.

He has a (self maintained) 1998 Merc C250TD (saloon). He has owned it for around ten years and he does the majority of the maiteneance himself without any issues. Believe it or not, this car has covered just 58k miles(!)

Following a routine diesel filter change, the car developed a starting problem. She'd need to be cranked over like an old 54 seater coach before she'd fire. I looked at the issue with dad and noticed straight away that there was a significant amount of air in the transparent diesel fuel lines that lead from the fuel filter housing to the fuel pump. And that the engine only fired once the lines had all re-filled with fuel again - which makes complete sense really.

On removing the 'banjo' bolt (?) that holds the filter in place - I noticed that the lower of the two rubber seals was missing. We got a replacement seal and fitted it. Cranked the car over and she eventually fired and ran perfectly.

This had been the case prior to replacing the lower rubber seal but the starting/air issue has then reappeared the following day - or after the car had been stood (on flat ground) for a number of hours.

My dad has just been in touch to say that the issue has returned. He can't see whether there's any air in the fuel lines - but I'm guessing that there is.

The only other point worthy of note is that the 'banjo' bolt took some force to get it to seat back in to place. I am wondering whether we have been supplied with the correct size seal as it did seem quite proud of the tread on the banjo bolt(?). I also had to tighten it up using the thread on the bolt (normal, I'm sure) but I'm now wondering if the seal moved under the force and migrated up the bolt and has caused the issue to return - if this is where the air is getting in(???).....

So, in summary;

the engine will not initially fire following being stood for more that 5-10 hours.
there's visible +++ air in the fuel lines.
she only fires once the air has dissipated.
the engines runs, drives and pulls perfectly once it's going but it takes loads of cranking.
the problem then returns after she's been stood over night.
this has only occurred since the fuel filter was last replaced and (on re-inspection) the lower of the two rubber seals was missing from the bolt that holds the filter in position.
I've replaced the missing seal but think it might have maybe 'rolled-up' the bolt on replacing it as there was a large resistance when I was tightening the bolt.

Is it possible that air might be getting in here (if the seal has been displaced) or are we looking in the wrong place?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Adrian.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You've pretty much answered the question yourself.
Yes its likely an air leak from the filter/housing.

OP
A

AMH

Reaction score
You've pretty much answered the question yourself.
Yes its likely an air leak from the filter/housing.
Ok thanks - but where is the air getting in exactly? I haven't removed the bolt yet so I'm not certain that the seal has been displaced - but is this what you think has happened? Do you know if I can get these OM seals from Merc?
Many thanks for your reply.

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
OM605 fuel filters are supplied with 2 o-rings but only need one, as the same filter fits other older OMs.
Have you checked the pre-filter? The hold down plate distorts = air in.

Doug1234

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 w210 e300td
As above , only one o ring on main filter bolt, om603 uses same filter and that uses two o rings.
Pre filter as above answer,its the highest point in fuel system.
Connect a sealey or similar engine oil suction pump to the return line and put ignition on to open stop solenoid and draw a vacuum on the line and you will see any air being pulled through the lines and be able to track the bad line down.

OP
A

AMH

Reaction score
Ok thanks. Can I just check - if there’s only meant to be one o ring - is it the larger top one or the smaller bottom one that’s needed?

Cheers.

Doug1234

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 w210 e300td
Larger top one is what it should have.
Park the car nose down and then put a sandwich bag around the filter when you remove the bolt to catch any fuel that spills out,letting fuel spill out like this stops it running back to the tank which it will do if car is level or nose up,it makes a mess but the car will start easier

Top Bottom