1999 C240 Sport smoking badly ?

C240guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 Sport / 1999 / 2.4 V6
I have just bought this car with 76000 miles on it & i love it but a week to the day that i bought it i noticed a small amount of smoke be hind the car just round the corner from home, I left it parked overnight and started it the next morning to investigate it started giving whitish smoke straight away but not that bad then as it was ticking over it suddenly started pumping out thick white smoke so badly i could barley find the car in the fog ! It starts instantly no oil in the water & no water in the oil & no leaks on the driveway, I'm now properly confused i read online that it could be a "pcv" valve does that make any sense to anyone as i really dont know where to start ?

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
On the other forum, this happened because one of the breather pipes was blocked.

OP
C

C240guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks i will look into that when i know where to find them i seem to have bought the only car Haynes never made a manual for ! I have a feeling its not a major fail as it runs very well but i may just be being optomistic

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Oil can be burnt 2 ways, valve guides or rings unless crank case compression through block breathing tube, if the breather pipes are all in tact and not gone to a gooey mess then the engine can be tested other ways

OP
C

C240guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Weird thing is despite all the smoke i don't seem to be losing oil or water but i have hardly run it since this started and haven't driven it got a mechanic friend popping round tonight to have a quick look its just knowing where to start. A quick VOSA check has told me the car has cover 12000m in the last 5 years would that lack of use cause issues do you think ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
With the breather pipes the age comes into play here, the ones on my CL420 1998 were totally shot.

If no oil loss then hopefully just this as it forces oil onto the pistons were it gets burnt making the smoke, it takes very little to produce lots of smoke;)

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Alex knows all about this fault. Its a big job to sort out and possibly depending on condition of the car not worth fixing.

One thing you could try is some Wurth oil additive and leave it in there for a few hundred miles then do a change and new filter.

jib

OP
C

C240guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I like the car way too much to give up on it its like new inside and under the bonnet with 76000 on the clock but i'm thinking the lack of mileage might mean the oil hasnt been changed in years and short journeys may well have sludge'd it up so that's where i'm going to start and may well add the flush to it and get a wet service sorted and go through the breathing system

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Your local to me im near ely, There is an oil way at the back of the engine, the clog up, to fix it remove gearbox, then flywheel, there is a cover plate to remove that gives you access to the blockage.

Try Wurth first though.

jib

OP
C

C240guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
my mechanic friend couldn't make it last night but i have run the engine again today and the smoke isn't as bad but its still there but have noticed some smoke from the engine bay too so i'm guessing its the head gasket ! The only good thing is that the engine hasn't even been close to warm since it started so hopefully just gaskets required. Wish me luck

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Dont think its your head gasket. Does the smoke linger?
jib

OP
C

C240guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
it looks very much like the exhaust does almost like oil spilt on the exhaust burning off

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom