1999 SL500 heat problem

OP
macdoesit

macdoesit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 sl500
  • Banned
Check for wet carpets around the footwell - the drain pipe may have fallen off and be draining into the cabin.
If thats all dry and the aircon works then there's no problem.

Floor boards are all dry, I will have Benz take a look Friday when I pickup the hood insulation.
The condensation has to be going somewhere that it should not be going unless I have one of those magical Benz that defies the laws of nature.

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
It might be freezing on the evaporator. When you switch the engine off you will get a pool of water under the car. Mine have never dripped condensation but have always left a small pool of water when I stopped.

OP
macdoesit

macdoesit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 sl500
  • Banned
It might be freezing on the evaporator. When you switch the engine off you will get a pool of water under the car. Mine have never dripped condensation but have always left a small pool of water when I stopped.
The evap freezing could be the answer to another occasional problem. Not often but sometimes the ac will be blowing cold air and all the sudden air is not cold, the evap freezing over would stop air flow. Had this happen on my home ac a couple times.Evap freezing due to low freon. The Benz has right amount of freon so the evap should not freeze over.

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
It could be caused by a failing sensor on the evaporator. My R129 does the same after about two hours. It is a dashboard out job to replace the sensor. I had this done on my old W140 and my W124 but not got around to the R129 yet.

OP
macdoesit

macdoesit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 sl500
  • Banned
The engine heat problem . I have owned the Benz for 5 years so when the temp gage all the sudden goes higher than a tad over 80 I know that is not normal especially when it goes almost 100, well I found the problem and fixed it. Fan Clutch. Does not matter ambient temp of 98* and AC on high and idling for 30 minutes the gage does not move off of 80C. Normal for my Benz and normal for other Benz is obviously apples to oranges.
I installed the hood insulation, piece of cake.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom