1999 SLK230 Alternator / Supercharger Belt Tensioner

moosehead

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230/2005/2.5L Avantgarde SE Sport Pack Estate, SLK230/1999 and Volvo XC60/2017 AWD
On Thursday the wife reported the battery light came on on her way from home. I did a quick visual on the belts and all seemed OK. I then checked the charging rate and as it didn't appear to be charging assumed it was the alternator. Before ordering a replacement I thought on would check the output directly from the back of the alternator.

On closer inspection this morning the alternator / supercharger belt was loose and the tensioner bent / at an angle. This was a new unit that was fitted by my indie back in February when the original belt were replaced and the bearings in the old unit appeared to be a bit dodgy.

I removed the belt completely thinking perhaps the alternator had seized. This was completely free along with the supercharger pulley. Could it just be a dodgy replacement tensioner?

I would appreciate any thoughts.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom