2000 E280 (S210) air conditioner: condenser and pipe replaced

grahamperrin

Reaction score
Website
perrin.redirectme.net
Your Mercedes
W211 (E 320 CDI)
When I got this E280 in May 2014, I wondered whether the AC would need re-gassing.

Mercedes-Benz of Brighton offered a good price so I went for that, but as things turned out: it needed a condenser – leaking in three places. So the money earmarked for re-gassing went, instead, towards the cost of investigating the problem.

I pondered doing some of the work myself, but decided to have it all done at MB. Work began yesterday.

Despite their best efforts to preserve the connecting pipes, the thread failed on one. An early afternoon call broke the bad news. The cost of a single pipe (added to the cost of the MB condenser) was a shock, but I was keen to have the work completed quickly and professionally so I agreed that MB should go ahead. The part wasn't held locally, a 'VOR' (vehicle off road) applied and so the part was scheduled for delivery this morning.

Work completed around lunchtime. Sweet.

Without giving an exact figure: the cost to make good the air con was a little more than the cost of the car. (Not a disappointment. A recent health check revealed only two other issues: left lower steering knuckle, rear brake pads and discs. The combined cost is less than I budgeted for in May, so I'm happy.)

Alternatives to MB parts

After the event I was curious about cost differences. Online, the two pages that seem most relevant are:

I could have got parts cheaper online, and so on, but for me there's a great deal of convenience in trusting the work to MB of Brighton.

Other things that I found useful

Mercedes-Benz: A/C Diagnostics & Evaporator Replacement (2001-04)

Replacement Air Con Condensor - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums (2008-05)

FAO Merc sluts: W210 E280 V6 known problems? - CARforums.co.za (2012-02)

Air-Con Problems - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums (2013-09)

A/C Compressor Removal and Replacement - MBWorld.org Forums (2010-12) – there's a relatively generic observation from the owner of a 2005 C230, "… Everyone I talk to claims the compressors on these cars are notorious for failing...and that MB is on their 7th iteration of compressor design. …".

From the many other pages that I sped through, I gained an overall impression that S210/W210 air con should be reasonably reliable.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom