2001 E320 CDI Clock & Temperature Fault

sitruc

Reaction score
Hi All, This is my first posting so please be gentle with me if I have missed some protocols.

The digital Clock/Gear selected and external temperature displays have developed a fault where random digits do not 'light up'. Some days the temperature display works ok but the clock has approximately 50 % of the display not working. On other days the clock is ok but the temperature display has about 50 % of the display not working. The variable nature of the fault suggests (well to me) that the fault is somewhere other than the actual displays on the dash. I have seen other E Class Mercs with the same fault.

Can anyone suggest a solution? Thanks in anticipation. Bernie

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hi Berni you can do it yourself if you are competent with electronics, if not give it to Speedofixer

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Always happens on that dash.
There is a strip down guide by yours truly in the DIY section if you want to have a go yourself. Many folk have had sucess putting a rubber shim under the 2 ribbon connectors.
Failing that, as Malcolm says, Speedofixer will sort it for you, as will bba-reman. Cost is around £200 ish.
MB will offer you a new cluster at £600.
Then again, think yourself lucky. The revcounter on my 211 stopped lighting up. That's £850!!

L

Laughing Gas

... alternatively just be patient, you may be lucky. The temperature display dimmed and then disappeared altogether on my 1997 W210, but 2 weeks later it was back again for no obvious reason. Apart from one other brief excursion, it has been fine for 2 years now.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
... alternatively just be patient, you may be lucky. The temperature display dimmed and then disappeared altogether on my 1997 W210, but 2 weeks later it was back again for no obvious reason. Apart from one other brief excursion, it has been fine for 2 years now.

This is the way that they can behave, the packing out the connectors is quite simple to do

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom