1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2002 ML270 fixed towbar

Discussion in 'Bodywork, Tyres, Wheels & Trim' started by Craggy, May 16, 2018.

1. Craggy

Craggy New Member

Your Mercedes:
    2002 ML 270 CDI
    Hello there,

I'm after some advice, I've recently bought a 2002 ml270 which has in the past had a fixed towbar fitted. It has the strengthening plates fitted and all the electrics are present and working, but the hitch has been removed from the bumper bar. I have a good friend that is a very experienced fabricator that can make the plate up for me but I need to know the height at which the hitch should sit, if anybody with a fixed towbar could measure the height from the floor to the underneath of the hitch for me it would be greatly appreciated.

TIA Craig.

2. joderest

joderest Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML270 2003
    hi
    If same as my witter tow bar (sounds the same) the bit that holds the ball just bolts to the rear chassis member. They are so cheap off e bay, may just be worth buying one and bolting it on.
    My complete tow bar kit, main bracket, tow ball, the brackets that go on side of chassis and wiring was £82 delivered, and was an afternoons work to fit. Rear bumper has to come off, then its elf explanatory.

3. joderest

joderest Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML270 2003
    just a thought, be sure a 7 way by pass relay has been used, just in case adding extra bulbs upsets the cars systems

4. OP
    Craggy

Craggy New Member

Your Mercedes:
    2002 ML 270 CDI
    Cheers for that, I've tested the electrics with a light board and they're all spot on

5. joderest

joderest Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML270 2003
    There are quite a few on eBay, just enter Mercedes W163 towbar, starting at about £55.
    Or look at cars being broken for parts and if has towbar fitted, ask how much. Can be very cheap

6. oigle

oigle Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Currently 2003 ML270. 2012 Nissan Maxima 250SL.