2003 R230 SL500 - engine oil dipstick

kevh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230) 2003 4966cc
My dealer insists that there should be an engine oil dipstick on the front of my engine on the left hand side as I look at the engine from the open bonnet. I can't find anything that resembles a dipstick or indeed a cap on a dipstick tube. There is a tube at the rear of the engine at the same side with a cap/plug in it - he tells me that this is for the transmission oil dipstick. Can somebody please advise me what I should have. Thanks vry much

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
IIRC on my 2008 SL 500 it was at the back of the engine on the left hand side (drivers) looking at it from the open bonnet. Not sure on the 2003 as it's a different engine obviously. Some models have/had NO dipstick and only checked electronically. Hopefully someone with your year model will advise shortly

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
My 2004 SL500 does not have a dipstick, even if it did it would be at the back of the engine. If your dealer thinks there should be a dipstick at the front of the engine then I suggest you find another dealer.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
^agreed, I was trying to be kind !

nicholas15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s class w221 - 2012 350 Bluetec, SL500 r230 2003
My dealer insists that there should be an engine oil dipstick on the front of my engine on the left hand side as I look at the engine from the open bonnet. I can't find anything that resembles a dipstick or indeed a cap on a dipstick tube. There is a tube at the rear of the engine at the same side with a cap/plug in it - he tells me that this is for the transmission oil dipstick. Can somebody please advise me what I should have. Thanks vry much

On my 2003 SL500, you check the oil via the display menus - scroll round the menu with the ignition on but without the engine running - give it a couple of minutes and it tells you if the oil is OK or how much you need to add. The only dipstick is for the ABC fluid.

dionysus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500/2004/5.0
As Nicholas said there isn't an engine oil dipstick on this model. A shame really as I like to see the quality and cleanliness of the oil on a dipstick as well as the level.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
My 2004 SL500 does not have a dipstick, even if it did it would be at the back of the engine. If your dealer thinks there should be a dipstick at the front of the engine then I suggest you find another dealer.

The M113 engine, when it has a dip stick, has it at the front left. Ask me how I know.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
IIRC on my 2008 SL 500 it was at the back of the engine on the left hand side (drivers) looking at it from the open bonnet. Not sure on the 2003 as it's a different engine obviously. Some models have/had NO dipstick and only checked electronically. Hopefully someone with your year model will advise shortly

Different engine to the op's.

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
No dip stick as advised in this Thread.
You could buy a stub cover that impersonates the top end of a dip stick rather than leave the tube at the left rear of the engine open to the elements.......I did.

Mic

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
No dip stick as advised in this Thread.
You could buy a stub cover that impersonates the top end of a dip stick rather than leave the tube at the left rear of the engine open to the elements.......I did.

Mic

He said the transmission tube had a cover on it.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG

Why do you need a dipstick ? Free your mind and trust in the reliability of your electrics.

It did seem a bit strange at first, but I've got used to it. Few modern cars have them. It's quite liberating really.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Why do you need a dipstick ? Free your mind and trust in the reliability of your electrics.

It did seem a bit strange at first, but I've got used to it. Few modern cars have them. It's quite liberating really.
Good point Mark. I must admit to being puzzled as to why my 230 FL had a dipstick again, as has my 212. Bit disappointed!

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
The M113 engine, when it has a dip stick, has it at the front left. Ask me how I know.
My SL500 M113 engine has the dipstick tube at the rear left side.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
I quite often find that the dipstick in cars these days is positioned behind the steering wheel.

I'll get my coat.

Well I give up, been looking since yesterday and still can't find the darn thing.............:confused:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom