2004 E320 CDi - Sluggish Gear Changes When Cold

mr spanner

Reaction score
cold running and confused gear changes

I had something very similar. With me though it ws because a glow plug had failed (Glow plug light came back on after starting).

Changes were slow and slurred, first came in with a jolt..

Had the plug replaced and Wow! what a difference in the changes. I would expect the engine to run rough with a plug failure but the gearbox?

Still all a sorted now :)

Hi, I have the same problem with my 270CDI CLK. glow light is on after engine starts. All glow plugs measure the same resistance so I don't think any are duff? I don't see how this affects the gear change. It is very erratic when cold and sometimes goes into neutral until you stop and start again. Engine hunts when warming up but not when cold. Car runs fine when hot.

How did you identify duff glow plugs?

Jon

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
This cold gearbox behaviour is perfectly normal,:D I noticed my E270 CDI holding onto the revs when cold for about 3 or 4 mins of driving it changes from 1st to second at around 2000 rpm and I checked everything and tried other cars all were the same at the time my car had only covered 20k and I was reliably informed that this behaviour is done as Malcolm says to warm up the cats quickly.If you let the car tickover for about 5mins it will behave normally.
so I would heartily suggest you leave well alone, and as for the Vauxhall type autoboxes they are totally different and dont alter when cold.

Hope this helps put your mind at rest.;)

Regards
Alfie B

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Forget the glow plugs on a cdi will not affect the running. As ALFIE above it will hold on to lower gears to warm up the CAT

erouneous

New Registration
Reaction score
Not changing gear when cold

I know you posted over a year ago, but it may be of use ... i have a E240 that holds in a low gear for a long time when cold but changes normally when warm, i took it to MB who reported that everything was correct and it was infact a function to get the engine up to normal temp as quick as posible, it makes sense to me and two years on nothing has changed and still works ok.

regards

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
The fluid goes brown the second you put it in, so that normal, I would wait till the weather picks up a little, the box will hold onto the lower gear when cold to warm up the CAT, dont somehow think that changing the fluid again will help

As whitenemisis if the engine power is down the box will be confused

It was my impression that it was only the petrols that held onto gear longer to warm up the cat?

Wirral_guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 CLK270cdi Avantgarde
It was my impression that it was only the petrols that held onto gear longer to warm up the cat?

Assuming there's nothing wrong with my 270cdi :roll:, mine holds the gears for a few minutes every cold start. So much so that I asked a very similar question to the OP on here when I first got it.

It's a nice idea but a cold diesel isn't the nicest sounding thing anyway - holding the gears just makes it worse!

Dave

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
agreed, the sound of a diesel when cold is not nice!

My gear changes are definitely slower when the engine/gearbox is cold but I put this down to me driving much less aggressively when the car is cold.

on my dads clk320 petrol it is very obvious that its holding the gears.

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(

My car certainly holds onto 1st and 2nd gear for the first few minutes..Then its normal after that..
This is my 1st petrol car for many years and the first thing I noticed about it is just how fast it warms up from cold..You can practically see the temp gauge move !

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
odd... my manual says it only affects petrol's

2u3yucw.jpg

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Yep, just checked mine is (of course) the same as yours. Someone forgot to tell the gearbox I guess.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yep, just checked mine is (of course) the same as yours. Someone forgot to tell the gearbox I guess.

lol yeah.

Could be something do to with the gearbox oil being of a higher viscosity when cold?

I dunoo :confused:

newman2000000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W209 CLK 240
Hello,

Remembering reading this thread during the winter period, and I had late upshifts from a cold start on my 240 petrol. It would smoothen up, after the initial couple of upshifts.

But, it is still doing the same thing despite our lovely 25oC+ temps.
I usually accelerate as gently as possible, and the gears change at 2000rpm for this first 2-3 minutes, then it is smooth. My car most likely has the Valeo rad and I hope this is not related.

So some people say it is normal, and some were concerned. Please put my mind at rest...

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Hello,

Remembering reading this thread during the winter period, and I had late upshifts from a cold start on my 240 petrol. It would smoothen up, after the initial couple of upshifts.

But, it is still doing the same thing despite our lovely 25oC+ temps.
I usually accelerate as gently as possible, and the gears change at 2000rpm for this first 2-3 minutes, then it is smooth. My car most likely has the Valeo rad and I hope this is not related.

So some people say it is normal, and some were concerned. Please put my mind at rest...

I believe the cars are designed to hold the lower gears when starting from cold, which enables the engine to warm through quicker.

More noticeable in winter, but like anything else, once you re aware of it, you tend to notice it all the more.

If the gear changes are smooth (up and down) when at normal running temperature, I would be reassured.

Douglas Atkins

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 E320CDI
Thought I would chime in here. M
which gearbox mode are you in, c or s
if in c try it next time in s

but with any gearbox concerns get your level checked
Mine has the same issue when cold. I called a transmission guru who specializes in the Mercedes transmissions and he stated this low temp issue is something the car does in order to heat up the transmission to 80 degrees F, once that temp level is obtained, it will shift normally. It is designed to hold the shift points so that the engine runs at higher RPM's when cold, however, it is irritating and I've been looking for a way to have my garage reprogram it so that it will only occur at 20 degrees or so cooler temps.

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
According to the handbook...... " Upshifts are made at higher engine speeds after a cold start. This helps the catalytic converters reach their optimum operating temperatures more quickly".

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom