2004 Mercedes C200 Kompressor Not Starting On Key

Wayne Lovell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 Kompressor/2004/ 1800 cc
Hi there,

Please can someone help me out, I have recently purchased a 2004 Mercedes C200 Kompressor 1800cc, the problems I'm having is the car will not start with the key, the key goes in to the ignition and turns so the dashboard lights do come on but will not crank the engine, I have sent the ECU off to a recommended repair centre and they cannot locate any faults with the unit. I have now replaced the SAM unit under the bonnet with the correct item and still the same issue. after reading on one of the forums it stated if I removed a certain relay and link the two pins with the ignition on the engine will crank over and start, I tried this and it has worked, please can anybody suggest anything that may help me out??

I have attached a picture to explain which relay I have mentioned!

Attached Files:

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 15

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
Hi there,

Please can someone help me out, I have recently purchased a 2004 Mercedes C200 Kompressor 1800cc, the problems I'm having is the car will not start with the key, the key goes in to the ignition and turns so the dashboard lights do come on but will not crank the engine, I have sent the ECU off to a recommended repair centre and they cannot locate any faults with the unit. I have now replaced the SAM unit under the bonnet with the correct item and still the same issue. after reading on one of the forums it stated if I removed a certain relay and link the two pins with the ignition on the engine will crank over and start, I tried this and it has worked, please can anybody suggest anything that may help me out??

I have attached a picture to explain which relay I have mentioned!

Attached Files:
Wayne, What I suggest is that you start the car using the bypass method you mention and drive it to an MB Independent who can check it out for you with STAR. The problem is that you have already thrown money at the car and you still don't know what the problem is. It doesn't sound like it will be a big problem, but the best way to find out is to have the fault codes read.

There is a list of Indys on here, perhaps one of them will be near you?

ERnie

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 2014 E350 coupe Bluetec D
^^ agreed.
We need to be careful about posting potential hacks to car security systems, sounds like immobiliser or key transponder issue? Star diagnostic required IMO.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
...sounds like immobiliser or key transponder issue? Star diagnostic required IMO.

I don't think its key transponder - that won't allow you to turn the key when its failed. Sounds like immobiliser to me but a STAR session will confirm.

OP
W

Wayne Lovell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Guys,

Thank you for the response, I am willing to take to a local repair centre that has the relevant STAR equipment, but I was just seeing if anybody had previously had this issue so I could try and fix myself to try and save some money...

OP
W

Wayne Lovell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If the key turns you have drive authorisation. Do you have 12v on the trigger wire to the starter motor at ignition pos 2?

Thank you for the information, i will check tomorrow to see if there is live at the starter wire when the key is in position 2, as previously mentioned, when i link the two connections under the relay as shown in the picture the car will start and runs fine, the only other issue is the SRS light does stay illuminated.

David Richardson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W176 Blue Eff CY Sport CDI & C Class Coupe 2002 220CDI
OP
W

Wayne Lovell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Thank you for the information, i will check tomorrow to see if there is live at the starter wire when the key is in position 2, as previously mentioned, when i link the two connections under the relay as shown in the picture the car will start and runs fine, the only other issue is the SRS light does stay illuminated.

Have you replaced the relay? The KK relay is also a common failure.

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
Check the fuse for the starter motor 15/20 amp

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom