2005 C200K Elegance SE fault review

E

echo200

During the first 14 months of ownership, I have experienced the following problems, viz.

1. The driver's door mirror required re-lubricating to cure a rubbing noise that occurred when folding/unfolding.

2. A rattle in the driver's door was traced to a loose rivet.

3. The parking brake assembly had to be replaced.

4. The automatic boot release catch refused to operate, i.e. the internal release switch and the key fob release were functioning, but the catch wasn't responding. Fortunately, the manual key release cured the problem temporarily until it could be examined by the dealer.

All of the above have been rectified by the supplying dealer without any argument. Obviously, the parking brake assembly failure was the most serious issue.

I am a little disappointed by these problems, mainly because I was led to believe that Mercedes-Benz had improved their quality control on the 'facelifted' C-Class.

Previously, I had a 1995 E200-124 which I bought second-hand (3 years old). In my 7 years of ownership, the only major problem was an SRS unit failure.

Of course, these are two cars from different technological eras. Whilst I welcome the obvious advances in my C200, I just hope that it isn't at the expense of the build quality on my old E200.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom