2007/08 New Model C200k Sports Coupe

DC_insider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320CDi
There won't be one.

New C-Class will only be available as a Saloon or Estate.

DC_insider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320CDi
I think "Never, say never" is the phrase...

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=116169

This took everyone by surprise yesterday when it was announced. All indications from Germany were that the C-Class Sport Coupe would be discontinued.

The orginal DaimlerChrysler announcement wasn't specific but our expectation is the same as the Edmunds article - the new Sport Coupe will only be a re-skin of the outgoing model and will not be based on the new 204 series.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
New 204 C Class

DC insider, when ever I put up info on new models, you came along knocking me, saying that you new all about them and so did the dealers and every one knew

I put this info up on the 11th

Malcolm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This car due in the spring, though larger than the previous one is still a small car, most effort has been made to make the car look more sporty with a high level of comfort, and safety.
4 wheel drive will be offered on both saloon and estate, also on the coupe and open top version, (the CLK) It also look like there might be a 3 door coupe.
Engines, the smallest 1.8 gives from 150-190 bhp dependent on trimming level. 2 V6 engines, a 2.5 and a 3.5 have 210 and 270 bhp, the AMG version will be more that 400hp. On the deisel front there will be the minimum of a 3 litre turbo version, some thought s are now on a smaller version.

DC_insider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320CDi
television said:
DC insider, when ever I put up info on new models, you came along knocking me, saying that you new all about them and so did the dealers and every one knew

I don't think that is true. I believe that on one occasion I pointed out that you were claiming "inside knowledge" on a product that had in fact been officially announced nearly 12 months previously and on another occasion I said that the reason a dealer denied a new car was imminent was that he most likely had old stock still to sell.

television said:
I put this info up on the 11th

Malcolm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This car due in the spring, though larger than the previous one is still a small car, most effort has been made to make the car look more sporty with a high level of comfort, and safety.
4 wheel drive will be offered on both saloon and estate, also on the coupe and open top version, (the CLK) It also look like there might be a 3 door coupe.
Engines, the smallest 1.8 gives from 150-190 bhp dependent on trimming level. 2 V6 engines, a 2.5 and a 3.5 have 210 and 270 bhp, the AMG version will be more that 400hp. On the deisel front there will be the minimum of a 3 litre turbo version, some thought s are now on a smaller version.

Indeed you did post this story (but weren't you aware that the C-Class is already available with diesel engines smaller than 3 litres?). However, the important information in my post (and in contradiction to yours) is that there will not be a Sport Coupe based on the 204 series but a re-skin of the 203 series.

There was no intention of producing a Sport Coupe of the 204 series and this is confirmed by the decision to re-skin the 203 as it is now too late to engineer a new car.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
DC_insider said:
I don't think that is true. I believe that on one occasion I pointed out that you were claiming "inside knowledge" on a product that had in fact been officially announced nearly 12 months previously and on another occasion I said that the reason a dealer denied a new car was imminent was that he most likely had old stock still to sell.

Indeed you did post this story (but weren't you aware that the C-Class is already available with diesel engines smaller than 3 litres?). However, the important information in my post (and in contradiction to yours) is that there will not be a Sport Coupe based on the 204 series but a re-skin of the 203 series.

There was no intention of producing a Sport Coupe of the 204 series and this is confirmed by the decision to re-skin the 203 as it is now too late to engineer a new car.

Thanks for the reply, and sorry I said anything. On the deisel front if it did not read as it should have was down to translating, I did not mean min size of engine. it should have read" at least" I will keep trying and thanks.

malcolm

DC_insider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320CDi
television said:
Thanks for the reply, and sorry I said anything.

No need to apologise. I had stated several times that there wouldn't be another Sport Coupe because that was the information we were getting from Germany. Nobody likes to be proved wrong but in my defence we aren't actually getting a "new" Sport Coupe but a restyled version of the old one. I think that the reason for this by-passing everyone involved in MB Passenger Cars is that decision has come from the top and has been driven by economics rather than marketing/engineering reasons. The "new" Sport Coupe is going to be made in a factory in Brazil which would otherwise have had to shut after ceasing production of the A-Class and the cancellation of the smart formore (smart SUV) before it reached production. It seems that it is better to keep the factory producing an old model than to close it down.

J

jon_harley

What's a "liftback"? I guess an americanism for hatchback?

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Hey DcInsider and Television, both keep up the good work. News info is interesting. It's not a contest. Either of you find something, post it. Keeps us all informed.
Me I look forward to the day when we get a convertible E class back. A full size four/five seater ragtop to rival the Saab.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
jon_harley said:
What's a "liftback"? I guess an americanism for hatchback?
When I go some where with some one else, I say can I have a liftback and they so no :rolleyes:

Malcolm

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom