2007 CLK Parktronic. Diagnostic & replacement front sensor choice.

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
Bit of help please. Our CLK of 6mths has thrown up its first issue, erratic and now failed parking sensors.

Background when we first had the car I ran a full diagnostic with iCarsoft i980 and found historical codes of all the front parking sensors faulty. I can see it's had a replacement bumper so I guess they drove it with the bumper off in the workshop to trigger that.

When we bought it they were all working fine and after clearing that historical code nothing came back in the following weeks.

Now about 6mths on we noticed sometimes the Parktronic was off. Then the other day it showed the reds on both displays, made a loud beep and turned the system off to give the red warning on the dash button.

Dash display.JPG

OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So I ran a diagnostic. Voltage looks OK (to me). The front right hand two sensors show a code for cable, connections or sensor failure. This seems to be supported by the actual data distance readings. Sorry I have no idea why the images are all on their sides!

side! Diagnostic voltage.JPG Distances 1.JPG Distances 2.JPG Parking sensor code1.JPG Parking sensor code2.JPG

Attachments

• Diagnostic voltage.JPG
    Diagnostic voltage.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 4
  • Distances 1.JPG
    Distances 1.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Distances 2.JPG
    Distances 2.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Parking sensor code1.JPG
    Parking sensor code1.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Parking sensor code2.JPG
    Parking sensor code2.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 4

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Having spent a small fortune on genuine sensors over the years, at nearly a hundred quid a pop, I'm currently trialing some cheap ones from eurocarparts -£12 each. Three months in they are still performing perfectly.

OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So I thought access was possible through the front wheel arch lower liner... as many of you will know you can't see the sensors at all.... so it's bumper off another weekend.

Three queries really. At ten years old is it most likely the two sensors have failed? Also have a look at the wiring coming out of the main plug in the image below where I've stripped back the original cloth tape. It looks odd with those crimped/sealed connectors but I can't see it isn't original. Finally I see you can pay £12 for an Ebay sensor, £40 for a Bosch one or I guess more for MB. Any thoughts on price vs quality? Wiring and plug.JPG

OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry UB I crossed with your own reply and you've answered what was one of my questions. Have you suffered constant failure on the same car or is it lots of sensors on lots of MBs?

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
They fail regularly on all sorts of them. The ones on my w203 and w211 fail regularly. The later type on my w164 ml are all the originals, ten years old now.

OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So I guess if they fail so often it's never worth buying used ones. Breakers seem to advertise them all as fully working but I bet they just take a chance... they're never going to check them prior to sending out. The only tiny advantage is there are some in the right colour saving spraying.

I can't see any listed on Eurocarparts and I'm a big Ebay user so will probably choose between generic and more expensive Bosch on there.

Does anyone know if the wiring is long enough to take the bumper off then change the sensors so they can be tested without re-fitting the bumper?

Paul Goff

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 C220CDi CD Estate
The aftermarket rear system on mine was dead when I got the car, the control box was in 2 inches of rain water!
It was supplied by an outfit called Steelmate, got a complete new system from them for £35 inc postage ;-) I had a sensor fail and they sent me another by return post when they got the dead one back.

Depends how keen you are on originality/integration.

OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Oh I'm going to keep the Mercedes system even if I fit generic sensors.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Oh I'm going to keep the Mercedes system even if I fit generic sensors.

I have bought 2 sensors from amazon from a seller called Electronix, £17.50 each and they are perfect

You need to find the part number for the OEM sensors then do a search

OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK thanks I'll look them up. I've checked and at the moment ECP want just over £30 and GSF (who I don't like anyway) £36. Wouldn't pay that as there are some sellers with boxed OE Bosch for another fiver.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom