Votes: 3 100.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

an01221

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML320 CDI, 2008, 164
I have a 2008 ML 320 and just replaced the harmonic balancer and belt, (belt broke when the balancer got really bad). At the same time, I removed the cross over air intake in order to pull the plugs on the Glow Plugs to test them. Once I put everything back together, the turbo started acting up. With the car in gear, as you accelorate, you can hear a wooshing air noise and this will continue for a short while and then the engine goes into limp mode, or at least it has little power and you pretty much have to use the paddles to shift gears in order to get up to speed or climp a hill. Turn the ignition off and back on again and the cycle repeats itself.

I had someone put the vehicle in drive and rev the engine while holding the brake and I tried to identify where the noise was coming from. Without doing this too much as I didn't want to damage anything, I figured the wooshing air noise was coming from the front passanger side of the engine, close to the Glow Plug controller module. After reading a few online forums it appears that this could be a badly connected or disconnected hose going to the air cooler, but I can't see anything obvious in the short time I was looking for it.

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
It will be almost definitely a loose hose under pressure, either from turbo to intercooler or from IC to inlet manifold. Any other hoses connected to the inlet manifold should also be checked.

OP
A

an01221

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML320 CDI, 2008, 164
Thanks so much! I'll give that a try and let you know how I make out!!!

OP
A

an01221

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML320 CDI, 2008, 164
I found the air leak. I guess when the belt broke it must have flicked and grabbed the sensor on the pipe and pulled it right out. Plugged it back in and it was golden!!!

Thanks so much.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom