2013 ML250 what is normal vibration?

Pkc128

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250/2013
Hello, my first post here after buying an approved used 2013 ML250. I bought an ML250 as my father had one and was super comfortavbe especially for motorway cruising. Unfortunately, having lived with my ML for a few months and the car having already gone in for an engine which was visually jumping up and down, i notice slight vibrations and noises which i dont remember my fathers ML having.
So when i put into drive or reverse i feel an increase level of vibration, felt through pedals, console, the services manager has said that is normal. However particularly in reverse, i see the rev counter blip, as if maybe it was allowed to rotate against a failed engine mount and then hits the end stop. The services manager has said to me that is normal as per design and is related to electrical load and charging of the battery. It sounds a bit ridiculous to me, duno if any of you have the same experience...

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
Hello, my first post here after buying an approved used 2013 ML250. I bought an ML250 as my father had one and was super comfortavbe especially for motorway cruising. Unfortunately, having lived with my ML for a few months and the car having already gone in for an engine which was visually jumping up and down, i notice slight vibrations and noises which i dont remember my fathers ML having.
So when i put into drive or reverse i feel an increase level of vibration, felt through pedals, console, the services manager has said that is normal. However particularly in reverse, i see the rev counter blip, as if maybe it was allowed to rotate against a failed engine mount and then hits the end stop. The services manager has said to me that is normal as per design and is related to electrical load and charging of the battery. It sounds a bit ridiculous to me, duno if any of you have the same experience...
Could you post some video footage of this engine jumping up and down?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Sounds like engine mounts- haven’t seen it in an ML but saw similar in an SL at my indy (for once it wasn’t my SL!!), the engine looked like it wanted to jump out!

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I'd find an MB indy and get a diagnosis from them.
Gearbox and engine mounts worn out will give the vibrations you are feeling.

Where are you located so somebody may be able to recommend an indy to take your ML?

OP
P

Pkc128

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250/2013

Hi,

Really appreciate the help for a new member.

So the fps for the video isn't great, so it looks a bit like a slo mo of the vibrations. Now it went to MB dealer once and they have managed to reduce the visible vibrations, as they said ML are prone to this and they put a "kit" on to fix the vibration. Since then I have taken the car to an indy, as I was still not completely satisfied that the vibrations were gone and wanted a second opinion. The Indy said the vibrations are there but very borderline and if anything would be the motor mounts. Taking the car back to dealers twice, on the first occasion they said they found something else loose. This second time i drove the workshop manager round to explain my perceived issues, but he said they were normal and expected:

1) Increased vibrations when putting into gear, particularly reverse, coupled with blipping of rev counter, maybe 50-100 rpm.
2) Rasping noise whenever i apply any gas.
3) At lower revs and when accelerating slowly, slight shudder similar to if I was in too high a gear when driving a manual.

The car is only 29000k miles, which doesn't help the argument that it is an engine mount.

Many Thanks

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
V6 engines mounts are fluid filled. So if one has burst it will vibrate. The structure of the mount may maintain its integrity making it appear as if there is nothing wrong. But with half a ton of engine on top of it under certain conditions it will vibrate.

A chassis ear would be able to detect the vibration easily enough and confirm the conditions of the mounts.

I have a chassis ear, I expect a dealer will have one.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Chassis ears have been around a long time. They can locate most noises and vibrations. Most garages don’t have one or if they do, don’t use it.

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
Chassis ear is a new one on me too, seen plenty of pigs ears though.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
If I don't get anywhere soon with my creak, I'm seriously thinking of a trip south west :cool:

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
If I don't get anywhere soon with my creak, I'm seriously thinking of a trip south west :cool:
I've got one of those too, it's mental torture.

However, having been enlightened to this device i stumbled upon one of the the very same on fleabay for £40.
It's in the post.
Hopefully it works, I forgot to ask:confused::confused:.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom