2014 E250 - New Brake Discs needed (according to dealer)

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
If both dealers are to be believed, the rears have gone from 9.5mm to 7.9mm and fronts from 30.5mm to 29.6mm in around 5000 miles of driving.
Micrometers are very accurate, disc wear isn't.

If you wanted to check one dealers measurements against another's you would need to know EXACTLY where they measured.

You could easily get those variations from one of the disc to the other.

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
Yes that's a good point as micrometers with a deep throat will allow measurement in a different place to the usual smaller models which will often only reach to just inside the lip. However I've found usually (not always though) this point is the thinnest.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Agreed. But you'd have to go some to wear disCs (we're British ... not American:rolleyes:) out in 41000 miles

easily done...

we need to get away from thinking just because in the old days they did x they should now

they are now made of rubbish and 40k is quite normal

sounds like the disc were well worn when it was bought and should have asked for them to be changed... the new purchaser didn't, they got away with it... there is no way to sensibly challenge now.

from the dealer servicing perspective if under min they must recco new are fitted. If just under and you say no then at your risk, but if substantially under they should preserve the right to say you aren't driving this away its dangerous (of course you could tow away and just do the pads....). but if you have an accident you should expect to enjoy jail food

A mate had just gone pad to metal in 36k on his Mondeo... I've told him that's the garages fault last round...

they have to look at wear and mileage and make a judgement call on whether to fit pads... the garage have sought to save the owner money and went "the cheap route" aiming to make the next big service at 38k they haven't made it

so now he must buy a set of discs costing a lot more money than pads last round...

I don't think anyone should ever trust a garage... one should understand how cars work and take some responsibility

OP
H

Hass77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e250 CDI Saloon AMG Line 2014
Update on this one:

I took the car into GemTech (they are recommended multiple times on this forum on other threads). I had spoken to them on the phone before and told them the situation already, including saying that if the discs did need changing, I would have gone ahead with getting the work done right then.

John there had a look at the brakes for me and said they would probably need changing with the next set of brake pads - and considering that the current pads are fine, they should be fine for at least another year to eighteen months with the mileage the car usually does.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom