20mph limits

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
This is what happens when you implement these but don't enforce:

Annoying in the car, life threatening on the bike.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
No...sound doesn't help.

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Far too close!

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Many of these round Alex, there's a road out of Newark that is now a 30 (down from 40 after many years), I set my cruise to 32 (the pug over reads by 3mph to true speed) but the number of people that come flying up behind me and swerve in and out trying to get me to go faster is just silly, if they start jesticlating their frustration I actually drop my cruise down to 30 just to prove the point, the best bit though is at the end f the 30 is a round about on to a duel carriageway with 70 limit they alway take the outside lane at which point I leave them behind, they do eventually come screaming past having to do 100 just to proves point but I've had my fun by that point so leave them to it :)

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many of these round Alex, there's a road out of Newark that is now a 30 (down from 40 after many years), I set my cruise to 32 (the pug over reads by 3mph to true speed) but the number of people that come flying up behind me and swerve in and out trying to get me to go faster is just silly, if they start jesticlating their frustration I actually drop my cruise down to 30 just to prove the point, the best bit though is at the end f the 30 is a round about on to a duel carriageway with 70 limit they alway take the outside lane at which point I leave them behind, they do eventually come screaming past having to do 100 just to proves point but I've had my fun by that point so leave them to it :)

I do exactly the same. My cruise was set to 23 in that video. These people will continue to follow inches from your bumper even if you do 50 in a 30.

Its quite easy to leave them behind in either car :) I tend to pull over if they insist on doing it continuously, but this just illustrates the issues with 20 limits.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I do exactly the same. My cruise was set to 23 in that video. These people will continue to follow inches from your bumper even if you do 50 in a 30.

Its quite easy to leave them behind in either car :) I tend to pull over if they insist on doing it continuously, but this just illustrates the issues with 20 limits.
I had this with a 1.0 Corsa van at the weekend. 40mph zone for 5 miles, he was too close for me to see the rad grille emblem. Tried to overtake me four or five times but didn’t have the oomph to get by with the gaps in oncoming traffic. At one point he nearly collided with me, I tapped the brakes to make him back off and he stopped his car waving his arms out for a fight. When it got to the national speed limit zone he tried to overtake again just as I pushed the loud pedal, leaving him standing. He then followed me all the way to the motorway again where I accelerated away and left him very far in the distance.

The worrying thing was, on watching dash cam footage he had a young boy in the passenger seat whose head was level with the dashboard.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
this just illustrates the issues with 20 limits.
Not at all. It illustrates the issues with driving standards and attitudes to other road users more than anything else.
As you said - these muppets will do it at any speed. At least at 20 the impact speeds will hopefully be quite low.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
I have one fundamental rule with tailgaters.

If normal efforts (dabbing brakes, changing speed, etc) fail to dislodge them, I slow down and wave them past at the first safe opportunity.
I'd rather watch an idiot perform in front of me than worry about his antics behind me.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
dabbing brakes

Be very careful doing this....
Back in 1998 I was driving home on the A303 and had some twonk in a Jeep Grand Cherokee right up my jacksy and I flashed the brakes at him.
To cut a very long story short some miles down the road he caused a comin together of our vehicles and we both ended up going to court.
I was prosecuted (and found guilty) of driving without due care an attention for flashing my brake lights at him!
It was subsequently overturned on appeal but mainly because the witness for the CPS (the twonk) failed to turn up to the hearing.

The Magistrates view was that by flashing by brake lights I put the driver of the other vehicle at risk (yeah - go figure!!!) as he may have needed to perform a sudden maneuver which may have caused him to lose control.
The only good thing about it was the other driver also was found guilty of driving without due car and attention on the basis of he admitted following too closely.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Law has changed since then. Tailgating is now a specific offence, as long as you have proof.

It can also work both ways. Years ago, my brother was driving an old Landie and I was a passenger. It was dark and we were on a winding country road. An idiot in a Jaguar glued himself to my brother's tail, lights ablaze. After a few miles of this, going through a wooded area, my bro said, 'Hang on!' and slammed on the brakes with the inevitable result. During the altercation that followed, my bro firmly said, 'If you didn't see the dog I braked to avoid, you weren't driving with proper attention.' The guy was alone and backed off. He knew there was no dog, but he also knew he had been behaving like an idiot.

MalcQV

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLA200
I just pull over and let them past. No brake testing and no gesticulating :D

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Me too, I'm less worried about tailgaters these days as I am old, have good insurance and a pretty solid car.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Tailgater:
Try washing your windscreen....;)
Doesn’t work every time, but does focus attention.

Even more effective if you have headlamp washers too :geek:

Top Bottom