211 Glovebox Damper repair

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Thanks as always to Malc for the WIS details.
My glovebox opens with a bang. The door just drops when released and I wasn't sure but suspected it used to be damped. Checked my Dads and that banged open too. Figured it must be right but checked with Malc and sure enough, there is a damper.
I've been putting this job off until I had time to spend on it. So, in typical fashion, settled down to do it today and it took a total of 5 mins start to finish!!
Undo the under dash tray by removing the 2 star head screws. Lower the tray enough to see above. It does not need to be removed.
You will see a white plastic tube with a loop of chord hanging out one end. Above you will see an arm. Open the glovebox door and you will see the arm move (to confirm you are looking at the right thing). Close the door again.
Now, take the chord, pull it out (should be some spring loaded resistance) and hook it on the arm.
Thats it!

If our 2 had come adrift I assume most of yours aren't damped any more either. For the 5 mins it takes - well worth sorting.

Attachments

• damper.JPG
    damper.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 660
  • damper2.JPG
    damper2.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 669

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom