216 with self tilting sunroof ?

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
I thought initially I was imagining this but no! my 216 is tilting the sunroof itself , wtf ? :confused::confused::confused:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
You mean when you press the remote or....??

OP
bembo449

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
no sir , the car is locked , I closed it ( sunroof) this morning , locked it , buggered off to do something else , came back an hour later and it had tilted again ! could it be to do with the switch breaking last weekend and by that I mean the button section coming of in my hand

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Sounds like it’s doing the opposite of the self closing rain feature (presume yours has this?)
Weird- worth a reset and see what happens....

OP
bembo449

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
yes it does have that feature John , its occurred to me that because I was closing the roof ( by puling downward on the switch ) when it collapsed , it may well still be in that position and as the switch can no longer perform that operation and I may need to figure out a way of closing it using whats left of the switch to stop it returning to tilt ?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
That sounds likely, something shorting the circuit on the switch maybe (dirt or moisture) making it think its being operated? (The Electrical techies on here will have a field day with that description!)

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
If you leave mine open, in some circumstances like ... starts raining, weather changes considerably or left open > 6 hrs. It will shut the sunroof totally, and then the back just tilts up 1.5 on its own”.

Sounds like yours is doing the last bit of that process?

OP
bembo449

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
yes pete I think it is but its never done it in over 2 years of owning it :confused:

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
yes pete I think it is but its never done it in over 2 years of owning it :confused:
I know I only found out about it when I was cleaning the sunroof gutter and splashed some water on the screen ... and it started to trap me :):):)

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
yes it does have that feature John , its occurred to me that because I was closing the roof ( by puling downward on the switch ) when it collapsed , it may well still be in that position and as the switch can no longer perform that operation and I may need to figure out a way of closing it using whats left of the switch to stop it returning to tilt ?
Hi Simon
May be a red herring butt there was according to wis same part change in 2009 going from a 4 way to a 2 way switch
Something like you just now push it forward and backward and at different cyles it knows when to raise or lower the back.
Maybe it needs a reset of the overhead control panel sam, if you have an mbII.
Sorry cant be specific as I didnt look into it properly .. just when you said you were pulling it
Peter

OP
bembo449

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In a way Pete, you were correct , I don't go down to the car everyday but made a special trip y.day eve , to test I opened it fully ( was tilted when I arrived ) then just closed it again and sure enough it tilted once full close operation completed , so I used a pair of long nosed pliers to enable me to pull down on the switch and it closed up on the tilt , so i conclude they also have a memory function too
Simon

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
In a way Pete, you were correct , I don't go down to the car everyday but made a special trip y.day eve , to test I opened it fully ( was tilted when I arrived ) then just closed it again and sure enough it tilted once full close operation completed , so I used a pair of long nosed pliers to enable me to pull down on the switch and it closed up on the tilt , so i conclude they also have a memory function too
Simon

Sorry cant help you.
Maybe, but thats why I suggested reserting it with a code reader.

For sure they are not just a simple switch.

E.g. leave sunroof open ... say in sunshine.
It gets cooler .. weather change
And bingo it shuts sunroof and pops up the tilt! (as per the manual).

Sounds like its got its knickers in a twist.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom