270 CDI - oil cooler change as preventive maintenance?

ssrli

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Jeep GC 2002 2.7CRD
Following my transmission rebuild, I'm also installing a new radiator (old one is plugged up and leaking and I don't want to risk a ruptured transmission cooler) and I thought about the oil cooler.
The car has close to 160.000 miles and when I install the new radiator I can keep the car off the road a couple more days to change the oil cooler as preventive maintenance.

Has anyone experienced oil cooler failures in this generation of engines? It's a 2002 OM612.

Last edited:

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
personally not heard of a problem with them but I'd take a view that with your box rebuild you saw some heat spots on the plates it could be the oil cooler has been blocked slightly in the past, if you can find one cheep then I'd say do it, but if it's going to cost you mega bucks then I'd think you will be fine.

OP
ssrli

ssrli

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Jeep GC 2002 2.7CRD
Sorry Matty, it's a bit of a mix-up. The transmission cooler is inside the radiator, which arrived yesterday (new Nissens unit for 200 euros), my concern is about the engine oil cooler.

I have an external cooler and thermostat setup for the transmission (opens at 80*C) which plan to install at some point.

Last edited:

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ah OK my mistake, in that case I'd say don't worry about it, again not heard of one failing and if the oil looked clean enough after running I would suspect it will be fine.

OP
ssrli

ssrli

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Jeep GC 2002 2.7CRD
I've heard some reports from Australian Jeep owners, it looks like they have the cooler produced by Behr, while the OEM on the European market is Modine.

Oil looks ok, dark like any diesel oil.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
but think what conditions an Australian car has to compete with compared to a European one, if the oil was getting really dirty with a ting of brown then I'd change it but if not then you really should be fine

OP
ssrli

ssrli

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Jeep GC 2002 2.7CRD
So I guess a follow-up is worth it.
I found about a teaspoon of brown mud-like stuff plus some dried up RTV in the oil cooler coolant input
In the oil gallery input I found something much much more interesting:
vYpH28k.jpg

Those two metal pieces went through the oil pump, which caused oil pressure problems when hot. Compounded with clogged coolant passages, it would easily heat up the oil and drop oil pressure at idle.

Top Bottom