280 ce - white foam

Status
Not open for further replies.

jha2297255

Reaction score
today i went to start my 1980 280 ce i 6 and it ran terribly...a vibration enough to shake the entire 4465 pound car when idling...after driving on for a bit it seemed to go away

upon checking it when i returned home  i founda white goo? sorta foamish in the air cleaner hose that goes from valve cover to air filter housing...

any ideas what this couldbe?------thanks --josh --USA

dave elcome

Reaction score
280 ce

Sounds to me like you have got  a head gasket problem/failure.

The best way to get this checked out properly is by means of a cylinder leakage test. Unless you have access to a compresor this will have to be carried out at a garage.

Basically, the engine needs to be at correct runing temperature, then remove the plugs, and position each cylinder in turn at TDC, the cylinder is then presurised by means of an adapter fitted in the plug hole and conected to the airline, the guage on the tester will give the percentage of loss, it is then easy to work out where the loss is going, I.E. out through the water jacket, this will give bubbles in the radiator, if you have a head gasket failure, (which sounds likely) then you may hear pressure in the sump, try pulling out the dip stick, or removing the oil filler cap whilst the cyl is under pressure, and listening for the sound of the air escaping.

If you do have a head gasket failure, and it is mixing oil and water, then i hope for your sake that it is water getting into the oil, as opposed to oil getting into the water, i have always found it easier to flush out the oil gallery, rather than get oil out of the cooling and heating system.

Hope this is of some assisatance, and all the best.

Andy

Reaction score
Website
www.mercedesservicing.com
280 ce

Hi Josh,

Every thing Dave has said is relavent. But what I would do especially as your in the USA. Find your local snap on dealer. Ask him for a block testing fluid kit. This will be a lot easier to use especially if you are a DIY. Try this a check the results.

Regards

Andy @ www.mercedesservicing.com

OP
J

jha2297255

Reaction score
280 ce

i have just taken the car to an ex MB head mechanic
he is going to look it over as i have a compressor..but am not very familiar with that type of loss testing..

if it does turn out to be head gasket... does anyone know of a silicon/ SS ringed gasket available for uprating? as the original is 169 US dollars here.... id just assume install the best gasket possible :)

thanks for any advice---josh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom