300 SE fuel problem

benlea

Reaction score
Hello,
I have just inherited a 1990 300SE from my late father it was his pride and joy and he was in the middle of a rolling restoration.
I have been driving it around for a few days and there is an awful smell of petrol almost overpowering.
I have filled up with clean fuel and had a quick check over for leaks etc. the oil seem ok and uncontaminated too.
Does anyone know if this is likely to be a tuning issue or a common fault ie blocked breather etc?
The engine is a 3ltr 6 cylinder.
Sorry i know hardly anything about these cars and never expected to own one until sadly the otherday. I intend to finish off his restoration but have 3 kids and cant really drive around with them in it with these fumes.
Many Thanks in advance
Ben

Legoman

Reaction score
check the connections on the fuel pump and filter first , its under the car by the rear wheels , normally hidden by a plastic cover , next place to check is the connections to the fuel rail underneath the airbox. sounds to me like you have a nasty leak somewhere.

OP
B

benlea

Reaction score
Hi,
I finally got the time to go and have a look today and I cant see any leaks from the pump/filter area or anywhere else in the system, although there are a few exahust leaks underneath so am gouing to get hold of some gaskets at the weekend to see if that solves it.
Thanks for your help I'm glad i've managed to rule out a leak progress is progress i guess :D
Thanks again
Ben

Legoman

Reaction score
a leak in the exhaust could be your problem as the fumes will come up through the chassis into the cabin. so yes definatly sort that first.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom