350SL Engine quits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budda Harvey

Reaction score
I have a 1972 350 SL which I have just got out of  6 months storage . The problem is the engine will run for approx. 5 minutes and then stop. Up to the point it stops it runs fine. I have cleaned the fuel injectors,Tested injector fuel pressure, it is 210 kpa at all times. Ignition is OK. Are the any items which control the fuel system  which may fail once they get hot? If the car is left to the next day it will start and run fine for five  mins.
and then stop again and so on. Any help appreciated.

S Harvey

Andy

Reaction score
Website
www.mercedesservicing.com
Hiya

So youve got a real early SL. Eh! The first thing that comes to my mind is to check the ignition ballast resistors. If memory serves me they are sited close to the coil in the flitch. There are two. Check em both. These get very hot. I would check these and when the vehicle cuts out check and see if you have a spark. But watch what you are doing. These early SL's with the early ignition system are easy to blow if you do not earth them out properly. Then you are into some big money. If you are not sure what you are doing. Let your local garage sort it. Then you can blame them if something goes wrong. Otherwise you can use ourselves.

Hope all goes well.
Regards
Andy@ www.mercedesservicing.com

OP
B

Budda Harvey

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I checked  for spark after it had stopped ,no problems there.
The reason I asked the question about the fuel was that when it stops it is not a dead cut but misses and runs on one or two cylinders untill it stops completly.

S Harvey

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom