3ltr water meth injection - clean up

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
So finally got round to giving this method of inlet manifold clean up a go... on a 103k mile w211 280CDI

mixed 50 50 tepid water and room temp methanol into a garden spray thingy....
took off the right side air box and started it up
set the nozzle about as fine as it would do, held revs around 2k and sprayed in the inlet... various revs blipping the throttle etc. up to 3.5k little reaction from the car... kinda wondered how the MAF didn't get upset taking a bath....

the flow rate was around 3 litres in 25 mins

had small amount of smoke out the back but nothing extreme, and could just detected a smell of something out of the ordinary in exhaust fumes but generally seemed very happy

after 12 to 15mins or so I decided to drop revs to around 1500 to see if increasing water % would do anything, after about 45 seconds the car started to misfire and run like a dog and I thought it was going to die, dropped out water mist and blipped the throttle.... after 10 seconds or so it stuttered out of misfire and revved out cleanly but with shed loads of crap out the back - a distinct blue haze....

once it cleared dropped back to idle and it ran normally and smoke cleared, if anything it seemed to be running crisper at idle, blipped throttle everything seemed normal and smoke cleared.... still no lights on the dash

went back to 2 to 3 k revs and pushed the rest of 3 litres cleaning mix through, talking around 25 mins in total, put in 2 x air filters started and stopped engine a few times, no lights, car seems normal

went for 10 mile drive parked up hour later 10 mile drive home... seems to drive the same

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
WI will free up gummed piston rings.
But nil effect on the tarry EGR gunk in the inlet manifold. It's a dirty job but someone's got to do it.:)

OP
B

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
50% methanol !

if you ever need to degrease the gunk on a cooker hood its amazing, it'll shift in a split second, what 30 mins with std kitchen cleaners won't touch

wasn't really trying to clean the egr more like gundge around the valves and swirl flaps... clearly around 15 mins in to the process something dramatic happened

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
So finally got round to giving this method of inlet manifold clean up a go... on a 103k mile w211 280CDI

mixed 50 50 tepid water and room temp methanol into a garden spray thingy....
took off the right side air box and started it up
set the nozzle about as fine as it would do, held revs around 2k and sprayed in the inlet... various revs blipping the throttle etc. up to 3.5k little reaction from the car... kinda wondered how the MAF didn't get upset taking a bath....

the flow rate was around 3 litres in 25 mins

had small amount of smoke out the back but nothing extreme, and could just detected a smell of something out of the ordinary in exhaust fumes but generally seemed very happy

after 12 to 15mins or so I decided to drop revs to around 1500 to see if increasing water % would do anything, after about 45 seconds the car started to misfire and run like a dog and I thought it was going to die, dropped out water mist and blipped the throttle.... after 10 seconds or so it stuttered out of misfire and revved out cleanly but with shed loads of crap out the back - a distinct blue haze....

once it cleared dropped back to idle and it ran normally and smoke cleared, if anything it seemed to be running crisper at idle, blipped throttle everything seemed normal and smoke cleared.... still no lights on the dash

went back to 2 to 3 k revs and pushed the rest of 3 litres cleaning mix through, talking around 25 mins in total, put in 2 x air filters started and stopped engine a few times, no lights, car seems normal

went for 10 mile drive parked up hour later 10 mile drive home... seems to drive the same

So this T**raclean" business you seem to have started will you be franchising it ?

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
For what its worth, you can get the same cleaning effect with water on its own. The explosion of the water into steam is what does the cleaning.

I have run water injection in various diesel over the years, and have run water/methanol (for knock reduction) in my CL and S. I only run about 30% methanol the rest is water/screenwash detergent (guess which res I use).

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Water !!!! Are you trying to ruin my new franchise, couldn't you call it dihydrogen monoxide ?
I was going to call it the hydro mono engine refurbishment system ?

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
50% methanol !

if you ever need to degrease the gunk on a cooker hood its amazing, it'll shift in a split second, what 30 mins with std kitchen cleaners won't touch

wasn't really trying to clean the egr more like gundge around the valves and swirl flaps... clearly around 15 mins in to the process something dramatic happened

Cooking oil isn't soluble in methanol, as that's the basis of the DIY biodiesel test for % conversion achieved.

Iso-propyl alcohol is the one to use for dissolving oil, grease and fat. Costs a bit more than methanol but is safer too.

OP
B

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Cooking oil isn't soluble in methanol, as that's the basis of the DIY biodiesel test for % conversion achieved.

Iso-propyl alcohol is the one to use for dissolving oil, grease and fat. Costs a bit more than methanol but is safer too.

well I had methanol about when I was running my tuned 350lc 15 years back and it cleaned up the kitchen gunk as I described...
the 5 litres of methanol I used this round I haven't tried to degrease a kitchen with, but I fully expect it to do the same

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
50% methanol !

well I had methanol about when I was running my tuned 350lc 15 years back and it cleaned up the kitchen gunk as I described...
the 5 litres of methanol I used this round I haven't tried to degrease a kitchen with, but I fully expect it to do the same

I know someone who has / or had about 150L of meth. with too much absorbed moisture content for making bio, around 7% from my test, IIRC.
Perfect for injection purposes.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi

I know someone who has / or had about 150L of meth. with too much absorbed moisture content for making bio, around 7% from my test, IIRC.
Perfect for injection purposes.

Or putting through a homemade still ?

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
We just need a polish, russian or beverly hillbilly member to sort it.

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
Or putting through a homemade still ?
Hope you guys are kidding! Don't even think about purifying methanol for drinking. OK it's an alcohol as is ethanol and isopropanol but it is seriously poisonous when swallowed. Actually, so is ethanol - it's just we can take more of it until we succumb to its effects.

Ernie

ps. Sorry to put a damper on the Xmas celebrations.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Hope you guys are kidding! Don't even think about purifying methanol for drinking. OK it's an alcohol as is ethanol and isopropanol but it is seriously poisonous when swallowed. Actually, so is ethanol - it's just we can take more of it until we succumb to its effects.

Ernie

Ok , put me down as a maybe for test drinking :eek::D

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD

Ernie

'Still' was used as a descriptive term for distillation ...no-one's going to drink it.
Methanol is nasty, a neuro-toxin, whether purified on not.
The biochemistry behind this vs. ethanol is quite interesting.
Cheers!

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
'Still' was used as a descriptive term for distillation ...no-one's going to drink it.
Methanol is nasty, a neuro-toxin, whether purified on not.
The biochemistry behind this vs. ethanol is quite interesting.
Cheers!
Bottoms up buddy :geek:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom