400SL advice

Jim Agar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
400Sl nearly!
Hi all, newbie here. Age and ill health necessitates selling my beloved 1978 Alfa Spider 2000,owned by me since '85(plus Mrs A can't stand it!). Plan is to buy a new or newish luxo-barge of a 400SL.
Mrs A loved a year old one we've seen in Bromley but at just over £50k in poverty spec not sure of the value as Drive the deal are offering basic car new at less than £55k or £57k with the essential options( neck scarf,HK, reverse cam,electric wind deflector, cup holder,few other minor ones).
Any advice on problems,spec etc welcome. Thanks in advance.

carnut13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL400 & Audi A1 Sport
The 400sl is a lovely GT car. I bought mine new under £57k with extras hk ,airscarf,Pano roof,AMG upgraded wheels, ambiant light, colour I wanted etc
Go for the new one with the extras you really want. A very good discount should be available especially in the current new car market doldrums
Enjoy!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
^ that’s a good find and has something that I wished my SL had but didn’t which was the vented seats!
If I get another SL that would be higher priority for me than say..distronic for example

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
^ that’s a good find and has something that I wished my SL had but didn’t which was the vented seats!

One must look after ones bottom

£7k+ a year depreciation!!!!! over £1 a mile in running costs so far

carnut13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL400 & Audi A1 Sport
I make that depreciation £20k in the year if you bought a year old one at ,£55k as the op started at

OP
J

Jim Agar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
400Sl nearly!
Thanks for all your replies, just had email from CarWow with best offer from M-B Cardiff of £78.800 list(8) options, down to £55,700 a 29.2% discount. Really must be tricky times selling these but happy days if you're in the market and know where to look.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Thanks for all your replies, just had email from CarWow with best offer from M-B Cardiff of £78.800 list(8) options, down to £55,700 a 29.2% discount. Really must be tricky times selling these but happy days if you're in the market and know where to look.
That’s some deal!

Monday

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL400 2016, CLS350 2020

That is a good deal! I think on the current car that the power boot open/close is standard but make sure. Mine is immediate pre-facelift and doesn't have it (not even a button to pop the boot as the R230 did) - and the boot lid is bl** dy heavy!

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Now you can go and beat your local dealer up

OP
J

Jim Agar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
400Sl nearly!
Now you can go and beat your local dealer up
That'll be plan A for sure!
Re boot closure,the year old(facelift model) had powered boot divider but manual boot operation which surprised me. Dealer said electric boot comes with the Keyless go option which I'm tempted with but slightly worried about ease of theft with this option- plenty in the press/BMW fora about this.
Any other options other than ones already mentioned which you consider essential?
What does the Premium Pack consist of? It seems to be the only pack option without details on the configure page of MBUK site?

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What does the Premium Pack consist of?

Keyless go
Analogue clock
Ventilated front seats
Active Multicontour seats
HK Sounds
Closing aid for doors
Illuminated door sills with "Mercedes-Benz" lettering

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom