400SL advice

OP
J

Jim Agar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
400Sl nearly!
I guess a large part of that are the seat extras, not sure they're essential for me,of a generation where electric/memory/ heated seats are a total luxury. HK, electric wind deflector,air scarf, maybe Nappa leather and keyless go should be enough for me.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I guess a large part of that are the seat extras, not sure they're essential for me,of a generation where electric/memory/ heated seats are a total luxury. HK, electric wind deflector,air scarf, maybe Nappa leather and keyless go should be enough for me.

What colour combination are you going for?

According to the configurator you have to put the Premium pack on to get keyless and HK!!!!!!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Almost everything seems to be on there when you pick the premium pack
I think you’ve covered the essentials and as you say almost all seat related.
Some folks swear by the Distronic, and if you’re doing a lot of longish trips I’d agree it is good

OP
J

Jim Agar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
400Sl nearly!
Bizarre, sure I could spec HK separately on my Carwow quote! May have to go premium but reluctantly. I'll have a chat with the dealer when the time is right.
I'll leave colour to Mrs A but she liked the metallic blue with the light grey leather of the one we saw although I might upgrade to Porcelain Nappa if the deal is good. Not too bothered myself although I find white boring and black,although nice,a total pain to keep clean. Hyacinth red would be my choice!

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There are lots of problems with red.... the paint seems to get micro-blisters. Its one I'd avoid personally!

Not Hyacinth though, it is the normal Red that causes problems

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Not Hyacinth though, it is the normal Red that causes problems
Agreed but once a colour gets a bad reputation (as in red generally) it can make it hard to shift a car later even if that particular shade of the colour is not affected.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Bizarre, sure I could spec HK separately on my Carwow quote! May have to go premium but reluctantly. I'll have a chat with the dealer when the time is right.
I'll leave colour to Mrs A but she liked the metallic blue with the light grey leather of the one we saw although I might upgrade to Porcelain Nappa if the deal is good. Not too bothered myself although I find white boring and black,although nice,a total pain to keep clean. Hyacinth red would be my choice!

Blue with grey is a lovely combination as is Hyacinth with Porcelain.

How about Selenite Grey with Red leather??

I looked on the MB web site and you have to have the premium pack to get the bits you want

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Agreed but once a colour gets a bad reputation (as in red generally) it can make it hard to shift a car later even if that particular shade of the colour is not affected.

I wouldn't worry, they don't offer "Fire Opal" Red on the SL which is the one that has been problematic but then this is a forum so you will always hear all the problems and not people coming on saying how lovely their Red Merc's paint is

OP
J

Jim Agar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
400Sl nearly!
I do love a red leather interior,my 340 Touring is Glacial Silver with Coral red so can see the grey working well. Is the Nappa leather a reasonable jump in quality to justify the price? Shame about the Premium pack but may have to bite the bullet there and compromise on something else.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I do love a red leather interior,my 340 Touring is Glacial Silver with Coral red so can see the grey working well. Is the Nappa leather a reasonable jump in quality to justify the price? Shame about the Premium pack but may have to bite the bullet there and compromise on something else.

Nappa is much softer

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
My SL was Palladium silver /Red Nappa leather which looked stunning IMO.
I do love the Hyancinth Red though, and as JB says with Porcelain that will work very nicely indeed

OP
J

Jim Agar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
400Sl nearly!
They could be my top two but money may direct me to the standard colour- silver,Irridium it's called now, difference?
MB Cardiff have said that HK is available as a separate option on the current model but the car has to be registered by the end of December- yearly targets causing big discounts?

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They could be my top two but money may direct me to the standard colour- silver,Irridium it's called now

How very Mercedes :(

Bin the keyless and get a nice colour :)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
They could be my top two but money may direct me to the standard colour- silver,Irridium it's called now, difference?
MB Cardiff have said that HK is available as a separate option on the current model but the car has to be registered by the end of December- yearly targets causing big discounts?
You based Wales then Jim?

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

So:

Hyacinth Red
Porcelain Leather
HK
Airscarf
Electric Wind Deflector

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Palladium with red Nappa leather would be my choice, saw an e Class 212 cabriolet in that combination with the hood down parked up a while back and the car looked stunning. My 212 has Nappa leather heated and ventilated seats and the quality of the leather is superb

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom