61 Plate C Class Automatic Gear Box Change Delay

ewd1610

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class Estate/61/220
Hi All,

New here and looking for some help/advice if possible.

I'm a relatively new (Nov) owner of a 61 plate C Class Estate (C220 Sport) with Auto Gear Box.

In late Jan, the car went in for a Service (Local independent well respected garage); I was aware that it was due for the gearbox fluid change etc. (53k miles) so requested that this was done simultaneously.

Ever since the car seems to have intermittent issues change between some of the low gears, I think this is 1-2 and possibly 2-3; it's a particular issue when pressing the accelerator for more power. The car seems to prepare to change, drop the power out, but then reapply the same gear. You don't get the acceleration you've asked for and tend to get some relatively heavy engine breaking which can come as a bit of a jolt.

I have contacted the garage who very helpfully took the car back, re-performed the gearbox fluid and filter change but there has been little to no change. They are now saying that I need to try drive for 1-1.5k miles before they'll have another look as it could be to do with "the fluid finding it's way into all the nooks and crannies in the gearbox". I basically think they have no idea and are confident that they didn't cause it; I don't know what to think.

I'm keen to sort this out fairly fast as it's clearly not right and means I have little confidence when pulling out from a junction in traffic that I'll get the power I need. I don't want any damage to be caused as a result either.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? I've had a search but couldn't see anything. It feels like maybe software as it can't work out when to change maybe but I really don't know!

Any help or advice gratefully received!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Could the converter need adapting to over come this fault, it needs someone who knows the cars well.

Crash1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS/2011
Could the converter need adapting to over come this fault, it needs someone who knows the cars well.

+1, go to an mb independent, shouldn't be any difference between gearbox services...if anything it should be smoother

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Changing the oil shouldn't change any shift performance adaptions other than make them a little smoother, not harsher, unless the level has not been set correctly?

I dont subscribe to the "oil finding its way to nooks and crannies", what a total load of horses... I would check the oil level, check its software and carry out an adaption reset. That will make it shift a little harsher whilst it learns your driving style for 500 miles or so, but should smooth out after that.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom