88H or 88T; What's the real difference?

Kyliewww

Reaction score
Website
www.dead-ringer.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Astra 'H' CDTi; '89 MK2 Orion 'Ghia'
It looks like it's time for some tyres :(. I have 185/65/15 88H 'installed' right now but what would be the complications (if any) to get some 185/65/15 88T's put on? I can save about £15 on each tyre! I only need fronts so could I mix them?

danger bollards

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 300D rangie v8 3-9 audi quattro 5pot.
You need the correct speed rating all round. "H" is upto 130mph however this is load dependant.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Have a look in your handbook and it should give you the proper spec for your tyre ratings.... Tho' the T's wont cause you any problems with the A class

sirius9

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C180K
the T's wont give you any trouble... not unless u start driving near 105-110mph on full load....

OP
Kyliewww

Kyliewww

Reaction score
Website
www.dead-ringer.co.uk
Your Mercedes
the T's wont give you any trouble... not unless u start driving near 105-110mph on full load....

I wish :lol: but I think that I will stick with 'H' rated. Don't want to give myself any trouble just if it was a 'no brainer' could have put the money saved towards sorting out my SRS light :rolleyes:

markg14

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class Sport C220 CDI 2007
I know that this can cause problems at MOT time if the tyres have a speed rating that is below the manufacturers recommendation.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I know that this can cause problems at MOT time if the tyres have a speed rating that is below the manufacturers recommendation.

The speed rating of the tyres is not part of any MOT

markg14

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class Sport C220 CDI 2007
I stand corrected!

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
It looks like it's time for some tyres :(. I have 185/65/15 88H 'installed' right now but what would be the complications (if any) to get some 185/65/15 88T's put on? I can save about £15 on each tyre! I only need fronts so could I mix them?

Biggest problem you're likely to have is finding a garage who will fit lower speed rating tyres - most will refuse.

However Kwik-Fit put lower speed rating tyres on a company car of mine on instructions from the lease company. I'll soon stop this, I thought, and called our insurance company. They seemed completely bemused and said it makes no odds as the speed limit in the UK is 70MPH!

David Nock

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK/2009/320CDI
I'd never fit speed ratings below manufacturers handbook ratings....I believe the Insurance company could walk away if there was an accident, also if the vehicle goes abroad onto the autobahns the vehicle's top speed could be reached and the driver that day might not be aware.

(I've had this straight from Ford UK - Technical Department when I wanted to drop below the handbook fitment on a GLS Mondeo some years back). Their unequivocal advice.....don't do it.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
(I've had this straight from Ford UK - Technical Department when I wanted to drop below the handbook fitment on a GLS Mondeo some years back). Their unequivocal advice.....don't do it.

Funnily enough, it was a Mondeo I had, mentioned above. The lease company produced a letter from Ford saying it was OK.

We also had a tyre issue with Peugeot 406's, where Peugeot said the ABS might not work as designed if non-approved tyres were fitted. Lease company said that was rubbish, but our fleet manager was wobbly about it and ordered the tyres to be changed like for like.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I guess its a grey area. Technically it wouldn't do any hard as few cars, be they maxed out fiestas or idling SL55s on Z rated tyres, get above 90 on a regular basis. However, you wouldn't fit smaller brakes, just because you never go quickly enough to need the big vented disks . Its part of the overall safety margin of the car and the reason a 70mph Merc is safer than a 70mph fiesta. Under hard braking or handling, all the components on the merc, which are designed to handle much higher speeds, meet the requirements effortlessly, whereas cheaper components don't find it so easy. Brakes fade earlier, tyres break grip earlier etc.

OP
Kyliewww

Kyliewww

Reaction score
Website
www.dead-ringer.co.uk
Your Mercedes
All done. 'H' rated fitted, not worth mucking about for a few pounds. They are the only thing keeping me in the road ;) Dished out too on a Airbag reset tool so we're all nicely on the road and safe once more :)

David Nock

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK/2009/320CDI
All done. 'H' rated fitted, not worth mucking about for a few pounds. They are the only thing keeping me in the road ;) Dished out too on a Airbag reset tool so we're all nicely on the road and safe once more :)

I think that's it....not worth mucking about for a few pounds.

Just think.....you've put your pride and joy through a wall yesterday (heaven forbid).....now the Insurance Assessor, (Loss Adjuster no less) is visiting the salvage yard to inspect the remains.....The last thing you'd want to worry about is whether you'd changed from manufacturers specification or not, re tyres, without telling them.

Just my view, others may be right and I might be wrong....but the only thing you could really sensibly do is tell your insurer beforehand, that way all would be bound to be OK.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom