'92 190E 2.6 Starter Problem / Question

3BadBirds

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm having some problems with my '93 190E 2.6 and am looking for some help. This afternoon when I went to start it nothing happened. At first I thought the battery was just low (it was a little below freezing today) so I tried jumping the battery but still had no luck getting the engine to crank. It was then that I realized that I had other problems.....

At this point the battery seems okay. The lights, radio, and other electrical stuff seems to work fine -- just the starter refuses to show any sign of life. I tried starting the car in Park and Neutral. I checked my service manual but for some reason can't find any details on the starter for a model 103 / 2.6 engine. It only lists starters for 4 cylinder gas and diesel engines.

Can someone please tell me if there is an easy way to check the condition of this particular starter on the 2.6? How hard is it to remove and reinstall? Does this sound like a starter problem??

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Cheers!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
you do need a volt meter to check, do you have one.

Malcolm

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
OK you will have 12v on the large terminal to the starter that comes from the battery. On top of the starter sits the starting solinoid, you need someone to turn the key to start postion and you should then have 12v on one of the 2 terminals only when the key is turned. if you have 12v then the starter will be faulty, if you do not come back.
the starter is easy to change I can give you the job order

Malcolm

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom