'92 190E - Engine Fan not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lespaul

New Registration
Reaction score
Hi guys,

A couple of days ago I noticed that the engine fan in my '92 190E has ceased to function. As a result, the engine over-heats when stationary in traffic and will obviously only begin to cool when in motion. This is causing me some concern as I don't want a fried engine! Can anyone offer advice as to how to fix this problem or even a way to have the fan running all the time when the engine is turned on - a by-pass type of thing.

Many thanks in advance.

Matt Crooke

Reaction score
Afternoon.

I had the same problem a few months ago. Could be a couple of things. Presuming yours is a 1.8 or a 2 litre, you will have the electromagnetic cooling fan.

1) Is your rev counter working? or did it pack up around the same time, if so, the fuse has blown. Have a check in the fuse box,  i think its Fuse 10, although it will say on the lid. The fan, rev counter and a coupld of other things are protected by the same fuse.

2) If the fuse has blown then you need to find out why. Odds on are its the fan switch thats broken, they arent the most hardy of things. This is located on the top front of the engine, just infront of the rocker cover. Its coloured Red and Gold, and has 2 pins on top (once you remove the plug). I believe the 1.8 engine has a 3 pinned plug, but i cant confirm this. A new switch will set you back about £14 or so from a stealership. Generally its the switch that fails and not the fan itself. To test the fan, remove the plug from the top of the fan switch and run a wire from the plug to the positive terminal on the battery. You should hear a noticiable click..this is the fan clutch locking on. When you hear the click, try to turn the fan with your hand (engine off of course!!) it shouldnt move.

Simply fit a replacement switch and all is well.

As for the bypass, dont go down that road, as to have a fan running constantly you will run into several problems

1) Lack of engine power
2) Engine not warming up, and consequently no hot air from the heater.
3) Large increase in fuel consumption.

Reason is it takes quite a bit of effort for your engine to spin the fan at 3500 RPM doing 70 MPH.

Let us know how you get on!

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom