`94 190....

silber_arrow

Reaction score
Hi,
i`m looking to buy another older car after a couple of newer ones have proved more or less the opposite of my expectations.......
I did a search and couldn`t find anything btw

Would a 1994 Mereceds 190 e have a cat and all the gubbins associated with it?
i`ve seen one for sale and i`m seriously considering buying it :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hi,
i`m looking to buy another older car after a couple of newer ones have proved more or less the opposite of my expectations.......
I did a search and couldn`t find anything btw

Would a 1994 Mereceds 190 e have a cat and all the gubbins associated with it?
i`ve seen one for sale and i`m seriously considering buying it :)

I would not worry about the CAT as cars pass the MOT without and with them removed though a 1994 car should have one. They are nice cars

OP
S

silber_arrow

Reaction score
hi
so even if it does not have one (assuming the car is running o.k.) it will not fail the emissions test?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hi
so even if it does not have one (assuming the car is running o.k.) it will not fail the emissions test?

We have had many post of late where the CATs have been removed and the cars have sailed through the test,

My last 1999 SL passed without one

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My wealthy best friend has had almost every MB made, and he keeps a large picture of the 190 on the wall of his office, he still says that was the best one :D:D

OP
S

silber_arrow

Reaction score
My wealthy best friend has had almost every MB made, and he keeps a large picture of the 190 on the wall of his office, he still says that was the best one :D:D
praise indeed for the 190 !:)
i have had 2 others, a c180 and an e 280, the c class was well made and great to drive anywhere but the wiper failed and the cat (thing!) failed twice in 3 years, the e class was a 1989 ( w 124 i think)
It was never any more than a stop gap car but i kept it for 4 years, i loved it because i felt so safe in it, rust killed it in the end.
Recently i`ve had an Alfa 156, auto box failed cost: £1700 :(
and a golf gt tdi, " little end" (opposite to the big end???) bearing failure, cost: £1800 :(
so now i`m saving cash to buy a car (an old car!) produced by the best auto manufacturer in the world, ask me in another year, i bet i don`t change my mind

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That not funny if you are a working guy with a family, the older stuff is much cheaper to run

itmek

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class 2005 200cdi
I have had a 1984 190 and a 1992 190E. Both were very good cars and not expensive to maintain. I think they were both better built than my current 2000 C Class 220 CDI (W202). It is the rust that lets the it C Class down which is a shame because it is otherwise a car that I particulary like.

lakeside

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S124/1996/280
Production of the w201 190 ended in May 1993. Are you sure it's a '94?

OP
S

silber_arrow

Reaction score
Hi
What year was this Golf ?
What was the reason for the bearing failure ?

a 2000 model
VW didn`t say, yes i did ask but they were unable to tell me, i tried to impress upon them that this sort of thing simply should not happen at the mileage my car had covered but i was unsuccesfull!
i purchased the car from a main dealer and the car came with the usual 12 month warranty, it was out of warranty by about 1 month when i took the car in with the fault.
As far as i was concerned it was a real low point in my motoring life (as was the Alfa Selespeed, i will never buy another!) and i don`t really want to go over it all again but the dealer was imho not the best, i took the car in for a rattle and when they failed to call me back the following day i called them, ( about 11am) they announced that my misfire was cured............ me: what misfire? them: the misfire....but the engine still rattles. Yes indeed :???:

Top Bottom