'94 E200 intermittent start problem

OP
W

wasda

Reaction score
I have located a thermostat. I will collect it on Tuesday. Thank you Myros.

George, Please feel free to post, it would be great to hear if you are making any progress.

I have ordered a workshop manual, I hope to get it next week. It is the Mercedes W124 Owners Workshop Manual: 1985-1995. It is a European version and it covers the E200.

In the meantime, I am still trying to get a wiring diagram for the OBD connector. I would love to keep working on this over the weekend so if anyone has a wiring diagram and can help me out I would really appreciate it.

Stevie A

Reaction score
Wasda - replace the thermostat - but bear in mind that the thermostat will be unlikely to be causing the stalling and non-starting. It will probably be something else already mentioned in posts. Whoever removed the thermostat did it for a reason, or maybe they were skint and couldn't afford a new one when the old one was faulty.

Once you get the Haynes manual - if you can remove the distributor cap without upsetting the engine timing then do that and check the state of it. If it looks badly worn replace it.

Then also, you can get the multimeter and start checking the temp sensor etc. You can check for the various sparks at the HT King lead and at a plug too. You should be able to isolate the problem with a bit of patience and detective work. If you can't, then phone a dealer and get a price for it to go on their diagnostics and they should know the problem.

george shand

Banned
Reaction score
Faulty OVP relay.

Wasda,
I said i would post the result when i replaced the OYP relay ,I did so on tues and over 150 miles of all types of driving since, my car has not stalled once. Previously I would have expected it to stall intermittently within a few seconds of a cold start ; within 200yds of driving off after a warm start or at any time until fully up to temp 85C; it would usually restart immediately after and I never had a problem when the engine was fully up to operating temp.
I hope that this is now an end to my problem ; which was driving me nuts as it did not show up on diagnostic tests ; and trust that my experience may be a help to others with similar problems.
The part no. of the original OVP relay is 000 540 52 45, and that of the replacement supplied by Eurocarparts is 000 540 67 45 OES at total price of £43.18.
Hope you get your problem cured soon if this does not help.
George.

roofless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 e220 estate
i have had the same probs with my 93 e200 and had a go at all the relays ect and it ran for a few days then back to its old self my car tends to not start or cut out on the road over time it got worse then when i had a good push & pull at every part with the kay on i found that when i pressed the plugs on the pms ecu i heard the fuel pump run.pms ecu thats the black box on the iner wing with two large multi plugs one from the eng side and one from the bulkhead area also has a vacum pipe from the intake manafold if its a siemens made one its known to go wrong i found some rust on the pins when i removed the plugs from the ecu so i had a look on ebay and only found one seller and it cost £495 so i whent to the brakers and got one from a c200 same as the e200 eng & the part No was the same cost £10 now my car runs a1 so when youre car wont start turn on the ignition and try pushing the plugs in and if you hear the pump ect kick in get down the brakers

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom