97. E300. Eleg. Est. Tyres Wearing Inside Edges.

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
hi everyone, again appologies if this is a known situation. the front tyres on my vehicle 190k miles. had excessive wear scrubbing on the inner edges of the front tyres. after only covering 2000 miles on new tyres. i had a full four wheel alignment check and the camber/caster and tracking was adjusted. later i had bottom ball joints fitted so i assumed the readjustment had not been carried out as the excessive wear reappeared after 1500 miles. i was advised to take my vehicle to a company in southport lancs, who are very conversant with the mercs, the manager told me that the car was towing out, but warned me that high mileage mercs are heavy on tyre ware on inside edges as the suspension wears away. it can be minimumised by correct adjustment, but a return to new car ware is not acheivable. this means if your car is over 100k miles you can expect to replace your front tyres every 15k miles instead of 25k on new cars.remember the law, 75% of the tread must be within the limit or 3 points and a £60 fine. this information is only relevant to people on a tight budgets who love old mercs. herbiemercman. masachistic owner of the breed.

Last edited:

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
hi everyone, again appologies if this is a known situation. the front tyres on my vehicle 190k miles. had excessive wear scrubbing on the inner edges of the front tyres. after only covering 2000 miles on new tyres. i had a full four wheel alignment check and the camber/caster and tracking was adjusted. later i had bottom ball joints fitted so i assumed the readjustment had not been carried out as the excessive wear reappeared after 1500 miles. i was advised to take my vehicle to a company in southport lancs, who are very conversant with the mercs, the manager told me that the car was towing out, but warned me that high mileage mercs are heavy on tyre ware on inside edges as the suspension wears away. it can be minimumised by correct adjustment, but a return to new car ware is not acheivable. this means if your car is over 100k miles you can expect to replace your front tyres every 15k miles instead of 25k on new cars.remember the law, 75% of the tread must be within the limit or 3 points and a £60 fine. this information is only relevant to people on a tight budgets who love old mercs. herbiemercman. masachistic owner of the breed.

Toe out will certainly cause your problem, particularly if combined with some negative camber. The amount of toe-in needs to be set to suit the amount of negative camber. I have 1 degree neg with 5mm toe-in on my ML and tyres are wearing fine - 56000km to date with probably at least another 5000km left on them legally. If suspension components are worn, then they should be replaced and tyre wear should not change, just because the vehicle is "old".

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I don't get their point either.
The suspension is made up of a number of metal arm components joined by bushes with a shock absorber and spring at the top. Sure they wear and excessive wear will cause increased tyre wear but in such instances you'd want those components replaced as anything that affects tyre wear must also affect ride, handling and braking.
As there is nothing on any car's suspension that cannot be replaced, his point that it can never return to new car wear levels is rediculous. (though it may not be economically viable)
As for wear, it varies dramatically on what tyres and what usage. Gentle motorway or stop/start makes 20,000 miles worth of difference but age..nah.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Another point here is that any suspension or steering component is an MOT failure if the play is beyond a certain tolerances,

The thing that I noticed was that you had a 4 wheel alignment, and you then replaced components, this as wrong and one does the alignment after fitting new part, so as it is now the suspension is set up to allow for wear in the swivels and etc, now these have been replaced it will be out

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom