A Basic Guide to Detailing

Ben Longden

Reaction score
Website
www.benlongden.com
Your Mercedes
W203 220CDI. Silver with grey and black trim. 1992 W140 400SEL Silver. 1999 CLK430 (missus)
Vortex, this thread is brilliant.

I need to ask two questions;

GLASS; Ive found RainX leaves streaks that sparkle in the bright sun, so I use nothing on the glass at all. The local windscreen repair people hate the stuff, as it makes chip repair difficult.
I regularly use an abrasive glass polish on the windscreen, in an attempt to reduce the wiper scratches of the past. Any suggestions on better practice?

BRAKE DUST; I hate the damned stuff. Whats the best way of cleaning it off?

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
My usual routine involves:
  • Wash with Autoglym (AG) Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner
  • Remove tar spots with AG Intensive Tar Remover
  • Dry off with silicone blade, chamois
  • Polish with AG Super Resin Polish
a

Based on what I've read elsewhere, I'd suggest you bin the silicone blade and chamois (as I have done) as they will trap and drag any small grit pieces left on the bodywork, causing scratches and swirls. Instead, give the beast a good rinse then dry with a microfibre cloth or towel.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Based on what I've read elsewhere, I'd suggest you bin the silicone blade and chamois (as I have done) as they will trap and drag any small grit pieces left on the bodywork, causing scratches and swirls. Instead, give the beast a good rinse then dry with a microfibre cloth or towel.

I was given a silicon blade at christmas but refuse to use it on paintwork. It did make a good job of drying the glass though, until last week I noticed some long scrapes running top to bottom on the windscreen. Obviously a stone has been trapped, but I did not feel it at the time. Put it straight in the bin.

Russ

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Vortex, this thread is brilliant.

I need to ask two questions;

GLASS; Ive found RainX leaves streaks that sparkle in the bright sun, so I use nothing on the glass at all. The local windscreen repair people hate the stuff, as it makes chip repair difficult.
I regularly use an abrasive glass polish on the windscreen, in an attempt to reduce the wiper scratches of the past. Any suggestions on better practice?

BRAKE DUST; I hate the damned stuff. Whats the best way of cleaning it off?

Try 1z einszett Glass Polish or Spautopia PureX Glass Cleaner both are bl**dy good - really good:cool:

Brake Dust on Alloys (?) remove each wheel clean off with a suitable brake dust remover then when satisfied give the wheels - both sides - a coating of Rim Wax or similar product buff up and repeat then polish off.

It wont stop the stuff getting on the wheels but it will come off easily when you next wash the wheels.

bpar1713

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 W220 2000
Scratched Alloy Wheels?

Great thread with plenty of good advice but I've a different problem and can't find anything on it anywhere on the Forum.
We have several light scratches and some heavy ones on our alloy wheels. My wife says I did them so is there any DIY fix or is it a job for the experts?
Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Arzaam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2002 c180
hi, a very useful thread, i am new here and big detailing fan and a bit of a detailer my self is there a thread where we can show our recent details and pics and also admire other people's handy work?

i also had a question what do you guys use for cleaning the car when there is very light dust on it, say just after a drive?

i use a waterless wash solution in a spray bottle and a plush micro fibre wiping in straight lines or sometimes a detailer spray, what do you recommend?

Last edited:

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
You can start a thread showing your detail process in this section, plenty of pictures before, during and after expected ;)

I use Greased Lighting Showroom Shine for a quick wipe over to remove light dust or overnight water marks. Sometimes I use Meg's Last Touch detailer spray.

Arzaam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2002 c180
self edit, wrong post

Last edited:

Arzaam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2002 c180

Arzaam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2002 c180
Different Kinds Of Car Polishers

here sharing with you different kind of car polishers if any one ever wondered

Orbital buffer

The motors and drive units on these two types of polisher's oscillate in an eccentric circular motion. Usually works on fix lower speed, light weight, easy to use, usually with dual handles. Have single jiggle movement rather than spin, good for applying car waxes, glazes ( non abrasive products only ) good for applying product deep to paint works with less effort, in less time, dont have paint cutting ability, a new user can operate without any harm of damaging paint , this buffer dont generate heat so cant burn paint , usually if apply too much pressure on this the oscillating action on polishing pad will stop
Its not a professional level product

Dual-Action polisher

By the name combines 2 actions, one the rotating the pad and same time also oscillation of the spindle . in simple words its action is like action of earth which not only spins itself but also orbits or oscillates around the sun.
This unique action prevents the creation of holograms, paint burns, this is good polishing machine and getting popular in detailing world , Run on variable speed usually 1800 to 6800 rpm so having ability to correct minor paint imperfections like light scratches or swirls removing , it wont have ability for correcting serious imperfections

Due to its unique action its good for cleaning paint,compounding, polishing, glazing ,wax applications, good for removing oxidation and helps to apply much thinner applications of wax and polishes so also easy to take them off and create more uniform and higher gloss finish, can use different pads as per product and requirements.

Rotary polisher

Rotary buffers are drastically different in the way they work compared to Dual-action polishers and Orbital buffers.

The drive unit used in a rotary buffer is referred to as a direct drive, This results in a powerful rotating motion. This rotating motion is typically clockwise.
Due to its direct driving the rotation its create heat so easy to correct / remove serious imperfections faster than da polishers

Remember, using a rotary buffer successfully requires both skill and experience. If you use a rotary buffer and are not skilled in its use, you can easily apply too much pressure to the paint and burn right through it and requiring a new paint job
This is best machine for paint correction faster and deeper however its a professional level machine and inappropriate use can harm/burn the paint rofessional level machine and inappropriate use can harm/burn the paint

Good for compounding, polishing, removing orange peel, deep scratches

samlim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
RANGE ROVER
all the above posts are very informative and considerable. i always use the similar pattern. first I wash my car with shampoo, after that I apply wax on the bonnet and all the outer parts after that I use polish for shine. i am using fukken wax for waxing from last 7 months, formula polish for polishing !!!

Attachments

• photo(2)-1024x768.jpg
    photo(2)-1024x768.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 32

Arzaam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2002 c180
all the above posts are very informative and considerable. i always use the similar pattern. first I wash my car with shampoo, after that I apply wax on the bonnet and all the outer parts after that I use polish for shine. i am using fukken wax for waxing from last 7 months, formula polish for polishing !!!

nice, visible difference in beading on both sides of the bonnet half shot in the above pic,
though i would suggest a few things

1, the polish goes before the wax not after the wax, the wax is a protection stage, after polishing it will protect the surface and the shine would last longer, applying polish after wax not only is not good for wax layer and nether would the shine stay for long or water would have good beading, beads should be perfectly round and hygroscopic

2. the wax you use is a spray wax and offers hardly any protection wouldn't last more than a week i think, try getting a paste wax or a liquid wax

just these two techniques for you believe me you will be in love with your car again, the results would be much much better!

Last edited:

Aiden

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI Sport
Completely agree with the above, wax goes on after polish. It's worth getting a good quality wax, there are different grades of wax that differ in their protection.

I used Dodo Juice waxes, the softer waxes - Light Fantastic, Purple Haze for example give a 'wetter' look and more shine, at the expense of durability.

The harder waxes, Blue Velvet and Diamond White offer greater protection but not quite as much shine. They still make the car look fantastic though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

samlim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
RANGE ROVER
certainly i am agree with both of your thoughts and facts about the sequence that you talking about. but i observed minor marks and less shine in that order means !!! applying wax after polish. but most people apply wax after polish it is right !!!! and i found spray wax affordable and it also lasts long loll:smile:

Royston59

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 CLS 350 CDI AMG Sport & 2014 C220 CDI AMG Sport edition (Wifeys)
All good advice in here re sequence etc....Quite often I apply a good quality QD, ( CG V7 or Sonax) to just buff the wax a while after it has cured......rightly or wrongly.

I also use a wax rather than a sealant and more often than not I use Pinnacle Signature series 2 but I am getting quite low. The pot wasn't cheap but even with a car a month done it has lasted me almost two years.....I have seen peeps apply wax in the same way as polish forgetting that applied like this then probably more than 50% is wasted...

ATB :)

Aiden

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI Sport
Most times I use a hybrid sealant/polish, namely Chemical Guys Blacklight. It gives a fantastic shine to the paint and is pretty durable too. Also nice beading!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arzaam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2002 c180
All good advice in here re sequence etc....Quite often I apply a good quality QD, ( CG V7 or Sonax) to just buff the wax a while after it has cured......rightly or wrongly.

I also use a wax rather than a sealant and more often than not I use Pinnacle Signature series 2 but I am getting quite low. The pot wasn't cheap but even with a car a month done it has lasted me almost two years.....I have seen peeps apply wax in the same way as polish forgetting that applied like this then probably more than 50% is wasted...

ATB :)

if you are having a little trouble buffing try to a spritz of detailer spray on the buffing cloth or even water it helps, but you are not doing it wrong, thats what essential polishing machine do they lay and buff of the wax at the same time leaving a thin coat

nothing wrong with using a wax instead of a sealant, especially with a such a nice wax as pinnacle, the warm glow from it is way better than just a simple sealant coating, and yep thin coats rock, your usage it perfect, i have seen people make wax from tub disappear in 6 months, they apply like they are applying icing to a cake, and then curse when they cant buff it off:p

Last edited:

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Different Kinds Of Car Polishers

here sharing with you different kind of car polishers if any one ever wondered

Orbital buffer

The motors and drive units on these two types of polisher's oscillate in an eccentric circular motion. Usually works on fix lower speed, light weight, easy to use, usually with dual handles. Have single jiggle movement rather than spin, good for applying car waxes, glazes ( non abrasive products only ) good for applying product deep to paint works with less effort, in less time, dont have paint cutting ability, a new user can operate without any harm of damaging paint , this buffer dont generate heat so cant burn paint , usually if apply too much pressure on this the oscillating action on polishing pad will stop
Its not a professional level product

Dual-Action polisher

By the name combines 2 actions, one the rotating the pad and same time also oscillation of the spindle . in simple words its action is like action of earth which not only spins itself but also orbits or oscillates around the sun.
This unique action prevents the creation of holograms, paint burns, this is good polishing machine and getting popular in detailing world , Run on variable speed usually 1800 to 6800 rpm so having ability to correct minor paint imperfections like light scratches or swirls removing , it wont have ability for correcting serious imperfections

Due to its unique action its good for cleaning paint,compounding, polishing, glazing ,wax applications, good for removing oxidation and helps to apply much thinner applications of wax and polishes so also easy to take them off and create more uniform and higher gloss finish, can use different pads as per product and requirements.

Rotary polisher

Rotary buffers are drastically different in the way they work compared to Dual-action polishers and Orbital buffers.

The drive unit used in a rotary buffer is referred to as a direct drive, This results in a powerful rotating motion. This rotating motion is typically clockwise.
Due to its direct driving the rotation its create heat so easy to correct / remove serious imperfections faster than da polishers

Remember, using a rotary buffer successfully requires both skill and experience. If you use a rotary buffer and are not skilled in its use, you can easily apply too much pressure to the paint and burn right through it and requiring a new paint job
This is best machine for paint correction faster and deeper however its a professional level machine and inappropriate use can harm/burn the paint rofessional level machine and inappropriate use can harm/burn the paint

Good for compounding, polishing, removing orange peel, deep scratches

Some points to bear in mind when using rotary polishers, especially if you don't have experience of using one.
Try and get one that has a variable speed control and a slow start motor,
Set it to no 2 or 3 and don't use the higher speeds until you can control the machine.
A setting of 3 will give you a much better result with coarser grade compound and allow you to move the buffer much slower without overheating the panel,
Also remember to stay away from edges and swage or raised body lines, just polish up to them..
Also try and remember which way the buffing head is spinning..clockwise,looking down on the machine, so that you can run off an edge with the the machine, and not have the direction of the rotation running against the panel edge, as this can cause burn through.
And always keep the speed low for plastic bumpers, wings etc.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
The edges polish themselves used to be our mantra.;)

A clean car is a good start and loosely mask windows and brightwork .

Although if you have no equipment remember costs and time add up, let a pro do it.
I have one of these with a buffing head somewhere its very good.

Attachments

• makita.jpg
    makita.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom