A Basic Guide to Detailing

Lister1512

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 (65) CLA Shooting Brake 180 AMG Sport
Thanks for giving such a comprehensive insight into detailing and in particular explaining the difference in glazing, sealants etc etc as I've found with detailing websites or guides they assume your aware of all these different steps and start abreviating with 'Ipa's' and all sorts.

I'm awaiting delivery on a CLA Shooting Brake in the solid colour of Jupiter Red. I'm looking for advise on what steps I need to take to not just look after it but get it/keep looking nice. One guide I stumbled across who was a detailer and has his own workshop said that due to the contaminants accumulated on route from the factory that the clay would need to be used (ultra fine was advised) then all the other polishing, glazing sealing wax etc, but it that a bit extreme for brand new? I thought sealing then waxing but I'm new to this detailing. I have seen a hybrid (Doo do's or something) which has the synthetic which is durable and natural wax for shine? image.jpg

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport
Thanks for giving such a comprehensive insight into detailing and in particular explaining the difference in glazing, sealants etc etc as I've found with detailing websites or guides they assume your aware of all these different steps and start abreviating with 'Ipa's' and all sorts.

I'm awaiting delivery on a CLA Shooting Brake in the solid colour of Jupiter Red. I'm looking for advise on what steps I need to take to not just look after it but get it/keep looking nice. One guide I stumbled across who was a detailer and has his own workshop said that due to the contaminants accumulated on route from the factory that the clay would need to be used (ultra fine was advised) then all the other polishing, glazing sealing wax etc, but it that a bit extreme for brand new? I thought sealing then waxing but I'm new to this detailing. I have seen a hybrid (Doo do's or something) which has the synthetic which is durable and natural wax for shine? View attachment 28952

Please don't clay a brand new car! Please!

I don't care what these so called experts say but by claying paint it actually causes damage and dulls it then you need to polish it etc

The paint will be waxed already. All you need is a bottle of cheap turtle wax shampoo, a sponge, hose and massive waffle microfibre cloth to dry.

A bit of petrol on a clean yellow duster can be used to wipe any 'contaminants ' but I doubt it be worth bothering

You only really 'detail' a car when it's covered in swirls when a good few years old

Morethanpolish

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Kompressor
Please dont listen to the poster above me, unless you want to destroy your cars' finish.

Sponges will produce swirls quickly on new, soft paint, bringing forward the need for a full machine polish. You ought to have 2 buckets - one for shampoo, one for rinsing your wash mitt out before scooping up more shampoo. You can pick buckets up for about a quid..well worth it.

Claying can cause light marring but a filler wax will mask that, or just dont clay it and wax on top.
The bulk trade liquid wax applied by the dealership will last 2 weeks, you'll need something on it to protect after that. Whether you go for a hybrid or pure wax is down to budget but worth spending a decent amount on something like Race Glaze 55 for better longer lasting results. Waxes are easier to use for the novice.

Cheap shampoo is not ph neutral so will strip away any wax applied.

Waffle drying towel IS good advice. A Water Filter is the best advice.

Best time to do all this is as soon as you bring the car home.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Please don't clay a brand new car! Please!

I don't care what these so called experts say but by claying paint it actually causes damage and dulls it then you need to polish it etc

The paint will be waxed already. All you need is a bottle of cheap turtle wax shampoo, a sponge, hose and massive waffle microfibre cloth to dry.

A bit of petrol on a clean yellow duster can be used to wipe any 'contaminants ' but I doubt it be worth bothering

You only really 'detail' a car when it's covered in swirls when a good few years old

You’ve spouted this sort of drivel before and I’ve corrected you.

The only correct thing you’ve said is that clay will dull the paint. BUT this would happen on a car that hasn’t had any other decontamination stage carried out prior. A lightly contaminated car can be clayed and only require a light polish after to remove the micro marring.

It takes me on average (size of car dependent) 2-3hrs to fully prepare a car for detailing. That is to wash, remove traffic film, remove industrial fallout, remove tar, tree sap etc etc.

I’ve had brand new cars brought to me, still in double digits for mileage, and shown the owners how the ‘preparation’ by the dealership leaves a lot to be desired the vast majority of the time.

Most people don’t care as they view a care as something that gets them from A-B. But those that do understand that getting a car to look it’s best takes more than a bottle of turtle-wax.

Oh and a sponge is the fastest way to induce swirls on the car when you wash it!

F1fan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220d Amg line 4matic cabriolet 67 plate brilliant blue
Hi vortex I am a newbie and have been directed to this post. I note that your excellent article was written in 2008 are the products and techniques you describe still valid today in 2017.

LesTaylor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 SL55 AMG F1
I wish I had a place where we could hold detailing meets, a disused but clean inside area, a place where we could get together and share tips and work on our pride and joy. Maybe even help each other to detail our cars...:rolleyes: it’s nice to dream...

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
I wish I had a place where we could hold detailing meets, a disused but clean inside area, a place where we could get together and share tips and work on our pride and joy. Maybe even help each other to detail our cars...:rolleyes: it’s nice to dream...

Possibly a bit short notice for you now Les, also maybe a bit far, but there is a meeting tomorrow at THE EDEN CAMP near Malton in N Yorkshire. It's on a couple of other forums but not on here for some reason.

Basically a 10:00 meet, staying there for 2 -3 hours and then a few of them go for a drive out.

The reason I mention it here is that there are a couple of fanatical car obsessives going, both with C63s which will be pretty much immaculate. I'll be there but hopefully in my older one, so it may not be quite on par with some...

LesTaylor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 SL55 AMG F1
Possibly a bit short notice for you now Les, also maybe a bit far, but there is a meeting tomorrow at THE EDEN CAMP near Malton in N Yorkshire. It's on a couple of other forums but not on here for some reason.

Basically a 10:00 meet, staying there for 2 -3 hours and then a few of them go for a drive out.

The reason I mention it here is that there are a couple of fanatical car obsessives going, both with C63s which will be pretty much immaculate. I'll be there but hopefully in my older one, so it may not be quite on par with some...

Hello Dave, would have driven up for that, sadly I’m working. Thank you for thinking of me though...

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom