A-Class buying - what to look out for..

coolpot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180/2002/1.8p
hi, have a friend that want to buy a A-class, currently looking at a advantgarde 1.4 petrol 2002 manual, with 40,000 miles on it,

i just wonder if there are anything to look out for. etc. is this one of the better years for them or one of the worse..etc :)
thanks! steve.

Howard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 500 / A 190
If it is a w168 you are looking at , i beleive it is , budget to have the MAS sorted ( £220 ) , as , more likely than not it will have had it. Symptoms are sluggish running at idle , lack of power pulling off and high fuel consumption.

Springs and shocks are other suspect areas. w168s are known for snapping springs.

Rot in the subframe outriggers.

Leaky fuel tanks ( around the neck ) which are expensive to fix , leaky fuel pipes at the back of the engine ( which is not )

Noisy steering racks / pumps. They never fail , but can be annoying.

Rust on the bonnet , lower doors , rear arches ( front ones won't rust as the wings are plastic , as is the bootlid ).

Check the central locking vacuum pump in the boot isn't soaking wet ( it is encased in sponge rubber and a lot of w168's have leaky rear screen washer connections which fills up the spare wheel well and then the sponge soaks it up and kills the pump ) Rear screen washer is an easy fix. Pump is annoying as a new pump has to be coded to the car on a STAR machine , so you can't just get one from a scrappy and bung it in.

Brake light switches ( BAS / ESP lights will be illuminated on the dash ) , an easy £10 fix.

Have a read of this .

http://www.aclassinfo.co.uk/mypage.65.htm

R W

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 E320cdi/ Sclass 2012 350cdi
Coolpot.
I to have been looking at early A class’s. Glad your friend is looking at a manual as all the information & advice I have had is, never to buy an auto, they can cost more to repair than the car is worth. I looked at several 1.4s & the engines had a slight rattle in comparison to the 1.6. Like timing chain rattle & from what I have read there have been a few 1.4s snapped the timing chain causing extensive damage.
The design of the Aclass are not straight forward & access to many items is very restricted & needing the engine lowered or removed. The website Howard has given you is full of excellent information.
I have read so much about them now I have put myself off buying one & now thinking about buying something Japanese instead. But in saying all this, it seems some people have had them & have had years of trouble fee motoring, even with the auto’s. It seems a bit of a lottery or gamble with the A class. I am sure some owners & technical guys will come along & give you more advice than I can give you this is just my two pence worth.

Rinehart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 R129, 300SL Almandine Red, 102k
"A" model description

:neutral:Howard
The info you provided Coolpot regarding the "A" was most informative. Do you by chance have something similar for a 2003 CL 500?
There is no doubt that it too, is rather expensive to repair, particularly the ABC system. I would appreciate any info you could share. Rinehart

Howard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 500 / A 190
Hi there,

I'm afraid i don't :( the only reason i know about the A classes is because i went through all this myself last year when looking for one.

I hate being caught out , so did my homework for months beforehand.

Also , a couple of the things are things i have had to deal with on ours since buying it ( leaky rear washer jet for example and a brake light switch )

Good luck with your search.

@ RW ...

Honestly , the horror stories almost put me off too , but the wife had her heart set on a purple one .

Before we actually owned one , i used to tell people to avoid them at all costs , but now we actually have one , i love it.

Pretty much all of it ( bar the engine ) is easy to work on yourself , Lofty's site is invaluable as well.

OK , some things can be a nightmare ( starter motor change or a clutch for example , both needing engine dropped ) but not much. Even if the engine goes pop , it's not the end of the world to find a replacement for sensible money , and bung your local grease monkeys to pop it in. So many get written off due to failed auto gearboxes and other trivial things , that there is a good supply of secondhand engines / parts ( Ebay or whereever ) cheaply too. They are so versatile , all the seats come out creating a 'van' effectively should you need it.

The one thing i will say is , there are loads out there , don't buy the first one you see. And BUY A MANUAL. ;)

Last edited:

R W

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 E320cdi/ Sclass 2012 350cdi
Howard.
You may be right & I should reconsider an Aclass. I have looked at several in the past 3 weeks & for one reason or another not bought any of them . Maybe I have not found the right car yet that feels 100% correct.
I think I have read & asked lots of questions on forums & people & the results have frightened me off buying one. If I had not researched them I could have bought a car & maybe had years of trouble free motoring & I would have been oblivious to the possible problems like many owners are.
I did find a very nice A160, fresh from Japan with genuine 55k on it. Condition was like new. Problem was it was auto, so I was unable or I should say afraid to buy it. If I had not researched information I would have bought this & possibly had no problems at all with it. We read on forums about the problem cars but there must be lots of owners who have not had problems & not contacted forums regarding problems. We often only hear about the problem cars. This week I have turned my attention to Mazda 323s. I am sure if I searched info on them I would uncover horror stories about these too.

Kyliewww

Reaction score
Website
www.dead-ringer.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Astra 'H' CDTi; '89 MK2 Orion 'Ghia'
You got it in one.... Can't remember any time that I came onto the forum to say that my SRS light stayed off for a whole month, the suspension didn't creak or the locks didn't bounce even though it was really cold and the rear washer pipe stayed on too!! ;)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom