A Class/Ipod Touch

DanielGregg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz A180 AMG Line D 1.5
Hi guys

New to this and have just bought a 2015 A180 AMG Line D 1.5, which I love, but Im trying to connect my iPod touch via my iPod cable into the USB port in the centre armrest and cant get it to work. Its an old, original iPod touch and when I plug it in it begins charging but the media system will not recognise it at all.
Does anyone know what I need to do to get it to work?
Does it need a particular wire, or software, or is it just because its such an old iPod touch model that itll never recognise it?

Cheers in advance
Daniel

Last edited:

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
trying to help rather than appear rude... why would anyone here be able to explain it better than the words in the owners manual? where it should also clearly list if you're ipod is compatible

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Had same problem on a 1-Series I had.

The normal Apple USB lead would charge but wouldn't play.

I had to buy BMW's Y-Lead for it to work... suspect MB are the same.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Had same problem on a 1-Series I had.

The normal Apple USB lead would charge but wouldn't play.

I had to buy BMW's Y-Lead for it to work... suspect MB are the same.

BMWs output the sound via the 3.5mm headphone socket (so does ford)

I thought merc use output via the apple 30 pin socket (certainly on my s class is does via I believe a digital signal) may be other models use the analogue output which the 30 pin lead also supports (but the later lightening one certainly can't) and feeds that in to the car

OP
D

DanielGregg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
trying to help rather than appear rude... why would anyone here be able to explain it better than the words in the owners manual? where it should also clearly list if you're ipod is compatible

Cheers for the response, but sadly no, the owners manual doesnt explain it whatsoever and there is no list of compatible players, hence me asking the question on here.

OP
D

DanielGregg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cheers guys I shall have to speak to the dealer again and see if theres another wire I need to purchase.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I just read your first post again....

does your car have a USB connection ? if yes, I believe you need a merc compatible cable to connect your apple to the car. The apple cable is NOT suitable. Apple are odd and the std cable just about works with ITunes and a PC, they don't function very well to do much else. Even charging is hit an miss with these things.

There are at least two methods to get apple ipod (and some phones) connected on Mercs for music:

An early addon "iPod Integration Kit " for Mercedes cars circa 2006 to 2009 (only displays on the speedo and navigable via steering wheel), connects via "old" 30 pin connection. Although on some, a viseeo tune to air may convert to bluetooth streaming.

Later cars with "media interface plus" (2009 onward) I believe use merc specific cable set (or pattern other) to connect via USB socket in the glove box. Navigable via command, as it should have been on the earlier cars.

What the latest cars have no idea. I expect the same as directly above.

Media Interface Plus (MIP) factory option code 518, supports the following iPods® and iPhones® for audio and video functionality:
iPod® Gen. 3 iPod® video
iPod® Gen. 4 iPod® classic
iPod® Gen. 5 iPod® touch
iPod® nano Gen. 1
iPod® nano Gen. 2
iPod® nano Gen. 3
iPod® mini iPhone® Gen. 1
iPod® U2
iPod® photo
iPhone® 3G
iPhone® 3GS
iPhone® 4
iPhone® 4S

here's something on the early cars system from an old post on this forum

What is the iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz?The iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz is an integrated system solution that provides connectivity between a customer's iPod device and the electronic and audio systems of the Mercedes-Benz vehicle. The solution offers the ability to connect and stow the iPod device with a specially designed interface in the glovebox that charges the iPod device while allowing the driver to manipulate iPod menus and device functions via the multifunction steering wheel buttons. Also, the driver can conveniently reference the iPod menu, playlist, and artist or title information on the multifunction display on the dashboard

What is included with the iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz? The kit includes a unique physical interface for the glovebox, as well as all software to support vehicle system integration and interface functionality. The iPod device is sold separately, and is not included with the iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz.

Can the iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz be used with other MP3 or other audio devices? The iPod Integration Kit is engineered with specific software that interprets the data from the Apple iPod device. Other MP3 players or other audio devices are not compatible with this solution.

With which iPod devices is the solution compatible? The iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz is compatible with any iPod device equipped with a dock interface and the latest iPod firmware installed. This includes iPod, iPod mini, and iPod photo. (after researching IPOD web pages its any New IPOD with IPOD Dock interface connector on it e.g. NANO, see Apple link below to check:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...688#ipodphoto)

For which vehicles is the solution available? The iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz is now available for the redesigned 2006 M-Class SUV, C-Class (MY05 and newer), CLK-Class (MY05 and newer), E-Class (MY04 and newer), CLS-Class (MY06), and SLK-Class (MY05 and newer; vehicles equipped with COMAND [Cockpit Management and Data system] system only). Upon vehicle introduction, the solution will be available for the new 2006 R-Class.

Can the iPod Integration Kit be installed by my dealer or is this a factory option? The iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz can be installed by an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer, allowing for installation after initial vehicle delivery, or the kit can be ordered as a factory-installed option (Max 1 hour).

What is the price of the iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz? The MSRP for the dealer-installed solution begins at $299 plus installation.

Is the solution covered under warranty? If installed at the time of initial vehicle delivery, the iPod Integration Kit is covered under the standard term of the MBUSA New Vehicle Limited Warranty (4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first). If installed after initial vehicle delivery, the iPod Integration Kit is covered for the remainder of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty or one year, whichever is greater.

How is the iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz different from after-market solutions? The Mercedes-Benz solution is specifically engineered for Mercedes-Benz vehicle systems. This solution provides increased functionality over after-market solutions, such as device function manipulation via the multifunction steering-wheel controls and view of the iPod device data on the multifunction display. Because Mercedes-Benz vehicle systems do not recognize the iPod device as a CD-changer component as competitive solutions do, customers can use both the CD changer and the iPod device without sacrificing one for the other. Also, unlike after-market solutions, the Mercedes-Benz kit is covered under warranty.

How is the Mercedes-Benz solution different from solutions offered by other vehicle manufacturers?
The iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz offers increased functionality. For instance, the Mercedes-Benz solution allows the driver to play and view any playlist that has been created - without having to make a special new playlist for the vehicle solution, as in other manufacturer's solutions. Also, song title information can be viewed in the dashboard multifunction display, allowing the driver to "See What You're Hearing".

If the iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz is installed, are other devices such as the CD changer nullified? No. Because this solution recognizes the iPod device as a unique input, other audio inputs such as CD changers can still be utilized.

Last edited:

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom